Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

planted tank question

i want to turn my 55 into a planted tank but why do i need a Co2 thing and how much so they cost

Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Honestly, I don't use CO2 on our tanks and they do fine. But from what I understand, plants love that extra carbon, which is why some people suggest dosing with seachem excel. Of course, I don't get the whole CO2 thing either (even though I have the equipment for it) I am slowly converting all our tanks over to 6500k daylight bulbs, I use root tabs and like my tank pictures show, our plants are in great shape.

Hopefully someone will answer you soon that can explain it more. Maybe I'll pick up something too

And for the equipment, I've glanced at some of it, way too rich for my blood. I was lucky, the tank and regulator I have came with our 80g tank.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you need co2? maybe. can you set up a tank with out it? yes.

the more light you put over the tank the higher chance of algae. co2 boosts plant growth up to 10 times the normal rate which helps keep algae at bay. there plenty of low light set ups out there that there is no need for co2.

cost 150-300 depending on where you go and if you get a fully auto system or not.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My plants grew without it but he algae was HORRIBLE.
soon as I put it in, the plants grew so fast I was pruning every 2-3 weeks and algea was ninimal until I screwed up.

TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

just because you had algae doesnt mean everyone will with out co2.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Guyver Send a message via MSN to Guyver Send a message via Yahoo to Guyver Send a message via Skype™ to Guyver
If you're looking for ways around an all-out CO2 system, I would suggest CO2 fizz tabs, or some other chemical way of introducing CO2 into the tank. Your plants will thank you.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

those are such a waste of money. at least do a diy co2 at least thats helpful.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
If you're looking for ways around an all-out CO2 system, I would suggest CO2 fizz tabs, or some other chemical way of introducing CO2 into the tank. Your plants will thank you.
The problem with the fizz tabs is that in general they either don't provide sufficient levels of CO2 or they can result in dangerously high levels of CO2. They don't provide a means of controlling the amount of CO2 to any degree. They work by breaking down the buffering in the water to produce the CO2, which can result in a PH crash if you had hard water to start with or will be completely ineffective if you have soft water.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Guyver Send a message via MSN to Guyver Send a message via Yahoo to Guyver Send a message via Skype™ to Guyver
Looks like I'll be giving away my tabs and getting some champagne yeast...
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ok thank you for all your replys i know what i should do know but quick question if i get a crayfish will it eat all the plants and to put the plants do i have to completely empty out my tank?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

im not sure on the crayfish, it will probably eat alot of your fish, not sure on plants. to put plants in, just have the water level low enough so that when you put your arm in, you dont overflow the tank...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your LFS might know more about what plants they carry that are edible or not. And no, you actually only want to empty out about 50% of the water to plant the tank. Really, you only need to take out enough water so that when you're in there up to both elbows and moving around the water won't slosh out of the tank.

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com