planted tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, I don't use CO2 on our tanks and they do fine. But from what I understand, plants love that extra carbon, which is why some people suggest dosing with seachem excel. Of course, I don't get the whole CO2 thing either (even though I have the equipment for it) I am slowly converting all our tanks over to 6500k daylight bulbs, I use root tabs and like my tank pictures show, our plants are in great shape.

Hopefully someone will answer you soon that can explain it more. Maybe I'll pick up something too :)

And for the equipment, I've glanced at some of it, way too rich for my blood. I was lucky, the tank and regulator I have came with our 80g tank.

do you need co2? maybe. can you set up a tank with out it? yes.

the more light you put over the tank the higher chance of algae. co2 boosts plant growth up to 10 times the normal rate which helps keep algae at bay. there plenty of low light set ups out there that there is no need for co2.

cost 150-300 depending on where you go and if you get a fully auto system or not.

My plants grew without it but he algae was HORRIBLE.
soon as I put it in, the plants grew so fast I was pruning every 2-3 weeks and algea was ninimal until I screwed up.

If you're looking for ways around an all-out CO2 system, I would suggest CO2 fizz tabs, or some other chemical way of introducing CO2 into the tank. Your plants will thank you.

those are such a waste of money. at least do a diy co2 at least thats helpful.

If you're looking for ways around an all-out CO2 system, I would suggest CO2 fizz tabs, or some other chemical way of introducing CO2 into the tank. Your plants will thank you.

The problem with the fizz tabs is that in general they either don't provide sufficient levels of CO2 or they can result in dangerously high levels of CO2. They don't provide a means of controlling the amount of CO2 to any degree. They work by breaking down the buffering in the water to produce the CO2, which can result in a PH crash if you had hard water to start with or will be completely ineffective if you have soft water.

ok thank you for all your replys i know what i should do know but quick question if i get a crayfish will it eat all the plants and to put the plants do i have to completely empty out my tank?

im not sure on the crayfish, it will probably eat alot of your fish, not sure on plants. to put plants in, just have the water level low enough so that when you put your arm in, you dont overflow the tank...

Your LFS might know more about what plants they carry that are edible or not. And no, you actually only want to empty out about 50% of the water to plant the tank. Really, you only need to take out enough water so that when you're in there up to both elbows and moving around the water won't slosh out of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom