Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Planted tank substrate!

Alright guys and gals, I need your input on some things. I am going to be setting up an angelfish planted tank in a couple of months and I'm trying to get everything together and ready for it. I need a good substrate for this tank that will be good for the plants and fish! I love dirt, but I'm not sure if it will be the way to go in this tank or not. I think it is going to be a 30 gallon cube but not exactly sure about the tank yet. Just need some input and opinions on what type of substrate i should use in my new planted tank! Thanks!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al01 View Post
Alright guys and gals, I need your input on some things. I am going to be setting up an angelfish planted tank in a couple of months and I'm trying to get everything together and ready for it. I need a good substrate for this tank that will be good for the plants and fish! I love dirt, but I'm not sure if it will be the way to go in this tank or not. I think it is going to be a 30 gallon cube but not exactly sure about the tank yet. Just need some input and opinions on what type of substrate i should use in my new planted tank! Thanks!
Although I cannot answer your question: here is a good thread that you can look through. Help me pick a dirt!

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What are your plans? High light / high tech, medium light, or low light? With low and medium light substrate doesn't really matter. However with higher light levels a better substrate will help greatly. I would suggest eco complete as the most popular option out there atm.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
What are your plans? High light / high tech, medium light, or low light? With low and medium light substrate doesn't really matter. However with higher light levels a better substrate will help greatly. I would suggest eco complete as the most popular option out there atm.

I also have EcoComplete, but it is mixed with FloraMax. Two bags of each in my hex tank. (The LFS was under stocked.) The plants do well. If you have a lot of money you could purchase Aquasoil by ADA. AquaSoil appears to be the best. I would stay away from AquaDurt from AquariumPlants dot com because of the high phosphates.

Most people use EcoComplete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

Yes, please tell us hat your plans (lighting, plants, etc) are. That really determines what you need as a substrate. Flourite is one of my favorite planted substrates. I also like putting dirt on the bottom, then have a layer of flourite or Ecocomplete on top to cap it.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks and I am thinking a high light hightech tank, not sure what kind of plants yet

Tags
ate, plant, planted, planted tank, substrate, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com