Planted Tank with Ich - Need Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GUZILLA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 75 Gal heavily planted tank and some of my residents have ich. I am concerned about the ich products available and want something that will not completely kill my plants. I have super ich cure that I used before with great results but it appears to be ill-advised in a planted tank.

Any ideas?

(btw I know about the parasite's life cycle, raising temp etc)

I bought Kordon's Ich Attack as it is advertised as a holistic treatment that is reef and plant safe. Any opinions on it's effectiveness?

Very unfortunately... That's a VERY bad thing that happens to you.

Malachine green/formalin will kill snails and inverts and hurt fish a bit but is plant safe I think. You'll need a LOT if MG and Formlin for 70 gallon.

I had best results with salt at 0.3% ratio. (3g NaCl or aquarium salt per liters without iodine) You put 0.1% first day, same dose day2, same dose day 3, then wait 10 days. Raise temp during treatement.

I must warn you, salt KILL plants. I had a very bad ich outbreak and I did the salt treatement in my 29g heavy planted. I lost 3/4 if my plants. ALWAYS QT new fish when you're dealing with big/planted tanks.

The bad thing is done, you infected the tank, now you know it, you'll QT your next fishs.

Here's a link of what I tried: How to treat ich without harming shrimp/snails?

I really wish this help you, ick is the thing I hate the MOST in aquarium hobby.

Make sure all your fish are salt tolerent, and don't overdose, 0.3% is high already. For sure, the cabombas I see on your album picture will die, you can trash them before treatement, don't wait they decay in water, it will do a mess as it did for me.

Just start slowly raising your tank temp to 84-86F and leave it there for 10 days (check the amount of time to be sure). High temps kill it off and won't harm plants. You really don't need med's. Also watch as higher temps can lower oxygen in the water so adding a bubbler during this time isn't such a bad idea.

Just start slowly raising your tank temp to 84-86F and leave it there for 10 days (check the amount of time to be sure). High temps kill it off and won't harm plants. You really don't need med's. Also watch as higher temps can lower oxygen in the water so adding a bubbler during this time isn't such a bad idea.

I will add 0.1% salt (1g/litre) in complement to this treatement. Most plants will survive this. Temp accelerate ich reproductive process, and salt kill free swimming parasites. Most fish are tolerant to 0.1% salt.

Don't overdose, as higher temperature reduce oxygen available in water and salt reduce fish capacity to breath.

When you run high temps for ich you really don't need salt.

I tried it alone and didn't worked for my cardinals/neons tetras, that's why I was telling him that.

Just try what Rivercats said, if it doesn't work after 10 days, go with salt... Don't worry, the first day it will be worse but should be better after 7-8 days

I personally have always used malachite green/formalin medications (which I think Ich Attack is iirc) for Ich. I would probably be worried about using it in a shrimp tank or with fancy snails, but I've never had a problem with fish or plants when using it. I have, however, had issues when using heat in the past, but your mileage might vary.

In my 55g planted tank, I had used a 1/2 dose, 1 drop per 2 gallons, (the recommended dose with tetras) of quick cure (Formalin, malachite green) daily for at least a week. My plants never showed any signs of distress from that.

Back
Top Bottom