Planted tanks and LED lighting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john7110

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Before I make the investment, Is LED Lighting sufficent for planted tanks? I have a 55 gal. planted tank with a 48 in. flora max bulb. It is good colour but DIM!!! Wife likes it but looks real dim to me. Will LED help or any other sugestions??? Thanks to all!!

It depends on the LEDs. What fixture were you thinking of? Or we're you contemplating DIY? If DIY, what LEDs were you thinking of using?

LEDs will take a large chunk of change out of your pocket for initial cost. They save money in the long run though as you don't have to buy new bulbs every year or less. Cheap strips or Double Brights will not work. To make an impact and to get your money's worth you need three watt LEDs. Take a look at GroBeam fixtures or hit Google and search "aquarium LED fixture". Most consumer LED fixtures are meant for reef tanks but you will find some for FW planted tanks (like the GroBeam). Be prepared for some sticker shock. What is your current fixture? Maybe you just need new bulbs.

There are comercial led light hoods for marine tanks but they are very expensive and not likely going to do much for fresh water planted tanks

there is a thread in here titled " cheap led solution ???" that may give you some less expensive options, always worth a look

Back
Top Bottom