Planted vs Salted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run a low tech planted tank and have moderately hard water (city adds a softener). I've successfully grown crypts, anubias, moss, rotala, star grass and just added some bacopa Carolina that's going crazy. I just use an aqueon water changer, do a 50% change about weekly to every other week. I'd say just look into species that already do well in harder water/higher pH and you'll be happy. I like the dwarf rainbows, dwarf danios and some of the livebearers myself. I'm guessing it'll seem like a breeze after salt if you stay low tech!

The only thing I've had real issues with is making sure my water temp matches when I'm filling directly from the sink. I just dose the tank with ferts and excel and Prime then fill directly from the faucet, so like Rivercats said it can be a bucket free process. I'm a new aquarist, I've only had the tank about 2 years but I've been able to keep up with it most of the time, even though I've made some beginner mistakes. The worst time I had with it was right after my twins were born I didn't do a WC for 5 weeks and lost some fish from it. But yes, the amount of upkeep required for a freshwater planted is definitely in the realm of something that can be handled with toddlers in the house. My girls are 15 months, so they keep me pretty busy. In fact, time to make them lunch!

Is there a good list of fish that do very well in planted tanks, as well as some low tech plants? Would also appreciate a link to an in expensive LED light that would work well... Thanks!

Brian_Nano12g is the person to ask about LED plant lighting. I only use the expensive BML LED fixtures.

As for fish you have a lot of options. Just research before buying to be sure any your interested in aren't known for plant nibbling/eating. You can do angelfish (although they can nibble on plants if they don't get enough greens in their diet), rainbowfish, gourami's, many tetra's, a couple types of barbs such as cherry and golden barbs, rasbora's, many loaches, cory cats, whiptail cats, and many others.

Your inbox is full, Ben. Couldn't respond to your PM. But I'd choose between the Current satellite LED+ or Finnex Planted plus. I prefer Current though. Amazon has good prices.

If you have the taotronic eBay LEDs that could grow corals then you shouldn't need new lights at all. The whites on those fixtures run at 6500k which is perfect for plants. Since they are dimmable you can control just how much light your tank gets. I wouldn't bother buying new lights.

On a side note, my high tech planted tanks are waaay more work than my reef tank.

If you have the taotronic eBay LEDs that could grow corals then you shouldn't need new lights at all. The whites on those fixtures run at 6500k which is perfect for plants. Since they are dimmable you can control just how much light your tank gets. I wouldn't bother buying new lights.

On a side note, my high tech planted tanks are waaay more work than my reef tank.

High tech is more work. I'm thinking low tech...

Back
Top Bottom