Planted vs unlplanted gravel maintanence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was wondering people's opinions on wether or not they believe that a heavily planted tank is able to withstand less frequent gravel vacuuming? Do you think the plants take care of the wastes?

Tank Vacuuming

Was wondering people's opinions on wether or not they believe that a heavily planted tank is able to withstand less frequent gravel vacuuming? Do you think the plants take care of the wastes?

Hello J...

I don't vacuum my planted tanks at all, that could damage plant roots. As for the waste, it dissolves in the tank water, so all you have to do is remove and replace half the water in the tank every week and you have a stable water chemistry.

By doing large, weekly water changes, the water isn't in the tank long enough for toxins to build up before the it's changed again. Plants use some of the waste, but the water changes remove most of it.

Pretty simple.

B

I vacuum my tank as normal. I feel its because of the clean water that makes our plants thrive. Plants don't consume "waste" sort of speak. Just the by-products of it. Leaving it in can cause ur levels to rise, like ammonia, which is bad. It's healthy for fish and plants to have this re-fresher water mix in.

I agree I do large water changes and always clean the gravel/sand but I was curios what everyone else thinks

Back
Top Bottom