Planting 36ga bowfront. Feedback/advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeahRay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello wonderful people! New to the writing on the forum but not to "stalking" threads (lol). Finally joined so I can start participating. Need some advise please. Not new to the hobby but new to planting. Have a 36ga bowfront decided to start rebuilding. Also decided to bit the bullet and get into the planting field. Here is what I have to work with so far:

-Flourite black for substrate

-Floramax T8 17w growth bulb (low wattage I know but plan to double up with two)

-In the process of building a DIY CO2

Need advise for plants please. Since my lighting is low to begin with, I'm wanting to get plants that will be happy until I can upgrade the lighting system. Right now I'm considering a couple Cryptocoryne, micro swords for foreground,
and some Anacharis (narrow leaf) for background coverage. Thoughts? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello,

I've been a "learn as I go" person with my aquarium, and I've had good luck with Wisteria and Amazon Swords. Also any plants for carpeting, I've had good luck with. I have 2 HO T5 lights and also a 36 gal bowfront.

Good luck.

That should work for you, but I suggest you upgrade your light because T8s are not the best even for low light on that tank. I believe the 36BF is a tall tank and the low light may not penetrate down to the bottom

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That should work for you, but I suggest you upgrade your light because T8s are not the best even for low light on that tank. I believe the 36BF is a tall tank and the low light may not penetrate down to the bottom

Yes it is rather tall. That part concerns me. I'm planning to upgrade as soon as possible.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

When you upgrade I highly suggest the Finnex Planted +24/7. Its a great light for ~$100, you won't find many dimmable fixtures for that price ime.

Hello,

I've been a "learn as I go" person with my aquarium, and I've had good luck with Wisteria and Amazon Swords. Also any plants for carpeting, I've had good luck with. I have 2 HO T5 lights and also a 36 gal bowfront.

Good luck.
Thank you! Do you have yours planted only, or stocked too?

When you upgrade I highly suggest the Finnex Planted +24/7. Its a great light for ~$100, you won't find many dimmable fixtures for that price ime.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was going to ask if you had any thoughts on a fixture. There are so many available now, confusing

I found the lighting on Amazon. Agreed great price compared to other models I've looked at. Trying to order out of my current paycheck lol

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay so new lighting system is ordered, on its way. I would rather get it now and postpone planting for a little while, so I can get everything I really want. Hereuploadfromtaptalk1452900825403.jpg is pic of what I currently have in the system. The 'substrate' is not plant specific, but is the same grain size. Does anyone know if I can layer Flourite on top, and be able to work it that way? Like another good 2 in. Or would it be better to strip it bare and do all Flourite? Currently there is 1-2 1/2 in in the base. Level varies. I'm trying to avoid paying for several bags of Flourite, but don't want to set up for failure either.

Right now I have a new cycle started, running for about 2 weeks now. Trying to get a head start.

What do you have in there now? The substrate depends on what kinda plants you want to go with

If I recall correctly, it is this, http://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor-...-catid-300014?var_id=36-21320&_t=pfm=category. It's been a while since I first set this tank up.

Little back story, I had it set up and established at our last home with 2 Orandas. After moving to our new home I must have done something wrong with the transport of them because we lost them both. It as emptied and left vacant for some time. Just finally started it back up again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's fine for the plants, you won't need plant substrates but may have to add root tabs if you get root feeders. You would need root tabs with most "plant" substrates too

With low tech plants, the substrate usually makes no large difference. If the plants get their ferts, they'll grow just fine. The Finnex Planted+ 24/7 is a great light. I use the dimming features on mine, and I have mine dimmed at 50% for my low light, low maintenance tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tabs I can definitely do. Do y'all know if I should use Seashem Flourish and Flourish Excel along with the tabs? I have bottles of that already, someone donated to my cause ?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes you can use those along side tabs. Excel is liquid co2 and I believe Flourish is basically seachems version of API Leafzone.

For the tabs I use 00 size gel caps and Osmocote Plus fertilizer

Back
Top Bottom