Planting a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgethefrog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I'm getting a new 29g tank today and I need some suggestions for plants. I want it fairly heavily planted but not so much that you can't see the fish. I'm planning on putting some drift wood in and building a couple rock caves for the red tail shark I'm going to add. I'm pretty sure that I'll be using aquarium soil since that has worked well in my 12g unless anyone has a better suggestion. I have a CO2 system that I'll probably move to the new tank and it will have one strip of LED lights and I could always add another. I'm open to any suggestions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of LEDs are you putting on it? That will affect the intensity of the light reaching the bottom of the tank. If you're injecting CO2, you'll want fairly high intensity light and plants that can make use of both.

Hello!

I'm getting a new 29g tank today and I need some suggestions for plants. I want it fairly heavily planted but not so much that you can't see the fish. I'm planning on putting some drift wood in and building a couple rock caves for the red tail shark I'm going to add. I'm pretty sure that I'll be using aquarium soil since that has worked well in my 12g unless anyone has a better suggestion. I have a CO2 system that I'll probably move to the new tank and it will have one strip of LED lights and I could always add another. I'm open to any suggestions :)

I responded to your stocking thread. You could have a low light tank with pressurized CO2. It is a good combo--minimal algae, lush plant growth, and low maintenance. Crypts, Anubias, Java Fern, Echinodorus, Buce, etc. If you want something that takes more time to take care of, you can have many fast growing stem plants. Of course, your plant choice depends on your lighting. I'll be able to add more input when you tell us what light you have and what level of lighting you have (low, medium, high).

I'll check the exact light when I get home but I don't think it's very high intensity. It's just one strip of LEDs that came with the tank package. I moved a few plants from my 5g over and bought some low intensity plants (one grass, one fern and two others I don't know the names of) when I got the aquarium but I want some more that are a little more interesting!

Back
Top Bottom