Planting diagram - can you check this for me please ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok - I'm getting ready to order my plants but before I do I was hoping to get your opinions on the layout.

I've made four ceramic pieces for the tank. One long pot which will hold Ludwigia repens, one 7" diameter pot for an ozelot sword, a "cave" thingy that I can tie some java moss to, and a "tree". The tree has 5 branches set around 270 degrees of the perimeter; I've drilled wholes into the top of each branch to tie a plant to (specifically considering Anubias Barteri v nana).
All other plants will be secured to small ceramic "rocks" which I've also made.

The tank is 29gal with 50 watts of light (1.7 wpg).

I've included a pic with the "layout".

Questions:
is this too much ??
do I need some hornwort to float on the top to absorb nutrients and reduce the risk of algae ?
do you think I'll need ferts ? I've ordered some Flourish just in case.
do you see any issues with the aquascaping ?

I'm getting more excited by the day ! LOL

Thanks !!!

I think it is attractive. Anubias and Java fern terraces on wood always looks good. If you prefer, tying the Anubias on the right to rocks will allow you to move them around easier, and you can use the pots for something else. I think the amount of plants is just great.

With all the slow growers (L. repens generally doesn't grow fast under low light), something like hornwort for saftey room would help. Wisteria is more attractive but pickier (still easy).

I doubt you'll need ferts.

Hydrocotyle leucocephala/Brazillian pennywort might work well in there. It is vine like and you can wrap it around stuff or use it from from pot to pot if you want. Just an idea for your consideration.

Good luck. Interesting project.

Thanks czcz. All the anubias are going to be tied to my ceramic "rocks" for exactly the reason you state - to make it easier to move them around. The only pots are for the L. repens and the ozelot sword.

I like the sound of the pennywort - I'm going to go look at that one right now - I can see it on the "tree" now :) sort of a "strangler vine" look !

I must have learned something during my reading - I can't believe I thought for myself that I might need a faster growing plant to keep the algae down ! Proof of the education that AA has given me :)

Back
Top Bottom