Planting grass/carpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jobetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody, I’m new to the forum and hope ya’ll can offer some insight. I want to plant some grass in my tank(this will be my first planted tank)and was wondering a few things.
1. Should I use fluorite? I’ve been leaning towards that because it has good reviews. If so, should I use the sand or the gravel type stuff?
2. How do I grow it? Do I poor the seeds into my established tank? Do I poor the seeds into the fluorite and mist it with water and wait for it to grow before I fill the tank? I have no idea.
3. Can you recommend a carpet plant for beginners? I like the look of dwarf tear and glosso, would either of those be good for a beginner planted tank?

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback :)

Not sure as to what "Seeds" you're referring to, but if you're talking about regular grass then no, it will not grow submerged.

Dwarf hair grass is what is typically referred to when planting grass, however that can be a particularly demanding plant to grow.

What light fixture do you have over your tank?
How big is this tank?

Not sure as to what "Seeds" you're referring to, but if you're talking about regular grass then no, it will not grow submerged.

Dwarf hair grass is what is typically referred to when planting grass, however that can be a particularly demanding plant to grow.

What light fixture do you have over your tank?

How big is this tank?

The tank is 20 gallons. Don’t have a light fixture yet but I’m going to buy one.

I would recommend the finnex 24/7 led. I have that light and it works great. I'm also new to planted but I'll let you know what I've found so far. I ordered a pack of baby tears seeds for .99 I put them in small clear to go containers and in 3 days they started coming up. I started it using clay balls and won't do that again. I'm trying black sand this time and make sure water is dechlorinated. I transplanted some of them today.IMG_20171026_084939.jpg

I would recommend the finnex 24/7 led. I have that light and it works great. I'm also new to planted but I'll let you know what I've found so far. I ordered a pack of baby tears seeds for .99 I put them in small clear to go containers and in 3 days they started coming up. I started it using clay balls and won't do that again. I'm trying black sand this time and make sure water is dechlorinated. I transplanted some of them today.View attachment 304771

Thanks! I ordered some black CaribSea substrate and I’m excited to use it, waiting on my plants and light to arrive now.

Back
Top Bottom