planting pots in sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
Instead of trying to mix sand and another substrate and worry about it eventually mixing up, can I sand the entire tank, then just fill little terra cotta pots with eco and plant them under the sand??? is terra cotta safe for aquariums? unglazed.

Using Potted Plants

Instead of trying to mix sand and another substrate and worry about it eventually mixing up, can I sand the entire tank, then just fill little terra cotta pots with eco and plant them under the sand??? is terra cotta safe for aquariums? unglazed.

Hello fire...

I use 3 inch tall plastic pots. The kind with the small holes in the bottom will work well if the plant decides to send roots through the pot. I use a little pea-sized gravel and some organic potting mixture and plant the plant. Cover that with more gravel to keep the plant in place and it's tank ready.

One other thing, do this type of planting in the middle of a water change. It's much easier to place the pot with the water level low. This way, you avoid a potential mess with the potting mixture.

The potting mixture will nourish the plant for several months. After that, you can use root tabs placed with a pair of long tweezers. No messes.

Have fun!

B

Hello fire...

I use 3 inch tall plastic pots. The kind with the small holes in the bottom will work well if the plant decides to send roots through the pot. I use a little pea-sized gravel and some organic potting mixture and plant the plant. Cover that with more gravel to keep the plant in place and it's tank ready.

One other thing, do this type of planting in the middle of a water change. It's much easier to place the pot with the water level low. This way, you avoid a potential mess with the potting mixture.

The potting mixture will nourish the plant for several months. After that, you can use root tabs placed with a pair of long tweezers. No messes.

Have fun!

B

Did you find the potting mix dissolved or something after awhile? I was using potting mix and found that after a few months it seemed to disappear despite having an inch of gravel on top in the pot. Wondered if I should of used something more clayey or heavier or something?

Back
Top Bottom