Planting S. Repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went out and bought some S. Repens from Petsmart. I took them out and starting to break them down when I noticed that the roots weren't very long at all. It looks more like one long piece of it, rather than multiple bunches. Do I just bury the long steam with the plants sticking out or how do I go about doing this?

I went out and bought some S. Repens from Petsmart. I took them out and starting to break them down when I noticed that the roots weren't very long at all. It looks more like one long piece of it, rather than multiple bunches. Do I just bury the long steam with the plants sticking out or how do I go about doing this?

The stems don't need roots u can just cut them off and plant them straight in.

Ah ok. I just had no idea about this. So when I plant them, if I cover the bottom layer of leaves up to help anchor it because they're so small, will it kill the entire plant?

Ah ok. I just had no idea about this. So when I plant them, if I cover the bottom layer of leaves up to help anchor it because they're so small, will it kill the entire plant?

Hope the leaves should just die. I generally only plant the stems and pull the bottom leaves off before I plant them. Aslong as u can get about an inch down they should go far. What substrate do you have?

When I first got S. repens (also from Petsmart), the plants VERY SMALL. These were grown in the tissue culture packs and hardly resembled the aquatic form. I separated it into small bunches and planted them. I used toothpicks to help keep the plants anchored. They were a pain at first but once the roots grew in they were fine.
Here is a pic from about 3 years ago:
7eUuguI.jpg

Yeah I wish mine were as big as yours were. They had be an inch or less. I didn't think about it when I bought it but it was the healthiest pack they had. My Cory cats have already uprooted all of them so I'm gonna have to roll with the toothpicks. That's a great idea. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom