Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g
Did you buy the excel already? You have a pretty large tank and the excel will add up in cost. Glut does the same thing at a fraction of the price.
I haven't yet, was going to pick it up today when I get plants. Where can I get the glut?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I'd second the notion of getting a lot of fast growing stems to start off. Literally plant every inch you can to avoid getting algae issues. Once you balance your dosing regime out you can start swapping plants out for types you like.

Glutaraldehyde is what you are looking for. I've never used/bought it so I can't point you in the right direction.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Did you buy the excel already? You have a pretty large tank and the excel will add up in cost. Glut does the same thing at a fraction of the price.
I buy the Glutaraldehyde which is the same as Excel. I buy a 1 gallon bottle here: Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. It is 2.6x stronger than Excel so you mix the 1 gallon jug of Glut with 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glutaraldehyde for a few cents over $27. Compare that to what 2-1/2 gallons of Excel would cost.

Another thing is with such high light you should plant heavily and use dry ferts as your plants are going to need more nutrients plus you may find you need to up your daily dose of Glut (which you can safely do- even says it on the Excel bottle) slowly. You should start and stay with 1ml per 10 gallons and see how plant growth is. When my plant growth seemed to slow I knew I needed more glut available for the plants and slowly began upping my dose.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
Once you balance your dosing regime out you can start swapping plants out for types you like.
That is exactly what I did in the 220g. I used water sprite and a good sized patch of Ambulia which grows and spreads like a weed plus a ton of other plants. If you looked at the tank from above you could see maybe 10% of the substrate. And later I did begin removing the above plants and others and started planting ones I wanted.

I did get some algae in the beginning but once I got my lights figured out I got things straightened out algae wise.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can I only get it online or would I be able to find some locally?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlavassor86 View Post
Can I only get it online or would I be able to find some locally?
Are you talking about Glut or ??? You might be able to find Glut at a janitoral supply store but you have to know what your looking for. There are different strenghts of it, the one I use is 2.6x stronger than Excel but some are stronger than that. If you try to find it locally you need to look for the product I listed. Also if you use that it comes with an activator bottle that is very small and attached to the gallon bottle of glut. Be sure to throw this away and never use it. That is the activator that makes the glut into a sterilizing formula.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats

Are you talking about Glut or ??? You might be able to find Glut at a janitoral supply store but you have to know what your looking for. There are different strenghts of it, the one I use is 2.6x stronger than Excel but some are stronger than that. If you try to find it locally you need to look for the product I listed. Also if you use that it comes with an activator bottle that is very small and attached to the gallon bottle of glut. Be sure to throw this away and never use it. That is the activator that makes the glut into a sterilizing formula.
Yea I was. Pretty sure there's a store close to me if I can't find it local would I be ok to wait a few days to have it shipped? Or should I buy some excel in the mean time?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You can wait but I just order some 2 days ago and this morning it showed up! You won't have to wait for long because I think everyone is gearing up for holiday shipping.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got some plants today. 3 sprites, 3 wisteria and 3 i can't remember the name of. It was unlabeled cus they had just gotten them in tonight. The guy said the name but I don't remember. It's the second pic. I'm sure someone here will be able to identify it for me. I'm going to a different store tomorrow to get a few swords and some jungle vals. They have them a lot cheaper but its about all they have so I started with the more pricey store first. I also do plan on rescaping once I get some more, but for now I am just trying to fill space left by the absence of the fake plants that were there. I am also very open to scaping suggestions if any of you care to give any.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4041547738.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	132298   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3764382012.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	132299  

Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm new so I'm just making a guess. Could it be a type of rotala? Verticillaris?

Tags
plant, planting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com