Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Planting today

So I'm all set up now to put in live plants. I switched substrate to Eco complete about 2 inches deep with black blasting sand on top about 1.5 inches deep. 2-6500k and 2-10,000k t-5 bulbs and a DIY co2 injector with DIY reactor. My question is do plants require acclimation like fish or is it ok to just put them into the tank?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just put mine in the tank. That will pretty much be the acclimation anyway as they get used to the environment they will be in. The addition of CO2 will help you a lot too, as this is usually the limiting agent of plants growing and thriving. Some plants may discolor, melt, etc. a little depending on what your planting; this IS the acclimating period. Plants then bounce back (sort of speak) and take off. I also think your set up looks good, just watch your photoperiod with that much lighting depending on what size tank you have. Good Luck!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohican
I just put mine in the tank. That will pretty much be the acclimation anyway as they get used to the environment they will be in. The addition of CO2 will help you a lot too, as this is usually the limiting agent of plants growing and thriving. Some plants may discolor, melt, etc. a little depending on what your planting; this IS the acclimating period. Plants then bounce back (sort of speak) and take off. I also think your set up looks good, just watch your photoperiod with that much lighting depending on what size tank you have. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info. It's 72 gal bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2827919066.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	131973   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2835910932.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	131974  

Old 11-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What plants did you get?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g
What plants did you get?
It got put on hold til today. I'm planning on getting some swords, java ferns, anubias, valisneria, possibly some crypts. The LFS sells them pretty small so as they grow ill rescale and add some shorter plants and grasses. Ill get some pics up tonight cus I'm sure ill need some pointers on scaping since this is gonna be my first attempt at it.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any other suggestions on some beginner plants? Also how easy is it to clone plants? Is it as simple as letting the clippings form roots then just plant them?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You have to wait for daughter plants to grow with swords, crypts, and java fern. Once they have enough roots you can cut them away from the main plant and plant them. For stem plants you can cut them once long enough down to the size you want and then plant the top cut off part of the stem. Val's send out runners which you can just let root and grow where they land or you can cut the runner once there are some roots on the little plant and plant it where you want.

With such high lighting you need to get some fast growing stem plants and something like water sprite or wisteria. Ambulia is a good stem plant as are bacopa and alot of rotala's and ludwiga. You can do red plants also with that type of light. Myrio's are also easy and fast growers.

I have high light on my 220g. Metal halides with T5HO's. I run the T5HO's for 10 hours but I can only do a 6 hour light burst with the halides. You might need to do something similar to keep from having algae issues.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

+1

Rivercats is the perfect person to help you. I agree with that amount of lighting with slow growing (low light) plants and a DIY CO2 system, you're bound to run into algae problems. I would suggest if you're going to not get a pressurized co2 system, to supplement the DIY with Excel and moderate to high light plants (aka: fast-growers)... Or to save money, you can get Glut (glutaraldehyde), the active ingredient in Excel. Since Rivercats was the one who enlightened me to Glut, I'll like Rivercats to explain that one.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the advice. I am going to be using excel.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did you buy the excel already? You have a pretty large tank and the excel will add up in cost. Glut does the same thing at a fraction of the price.

Tags
plant, planting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com