Planting with a bulldozer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've seen a lot of aggression out of my two angels towards each other lately. More than before I re-did my tank. The thing that is different than before is that there were a good amount of tall fake plants in my old setup that I believe broke up the sight-lines more and gave the angels a chance to get away from each other. Now my tank is really open and they hate each other more now than ever before.

Since I don't want fake plants in my natural-looking setup, I was thinking about getting some tall plants to provide some cover for them. The problem is that I have a bulldozer of a pleco that makes it hard to keep anything in the substrate. With that said, I'm leaning towards anacharis but I have a few questions about it:

1. I know that the fish (especially the pleco) will eat the plant, but will it grow fast enough to offset the eating?
  2. Are there any tricks that can help keep the plant rooted in my sand substrate with a clumsy pleco perusing about? (I was thinking maybe tie the plant to a small piece of slate and bury that slate under the sand?)
  3. Has anyone else had success with this plant with a large pleco occupying the tank?
Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure anacharis would stay rooted. Anacharis roots aren't really long. Go amazon sword or water sprite. When I had to move my amazon swords, I had to dig up the entire tank to get it free. Water sprite grows fast and roots pretty nicely. One of my amazon swords is trying to break out of my 29g and my water sprite needs to be heavily pruned every two weeks or it completely takes over my 20L.

I'm not sure anacharis would stay rooted. Anacharis roots aren't really long. Go amazon sword or water sprite. When I had to move my amazon swords, I had to dig up the entire tank to get it free. Water sprite grows fast and roots pretty nicely. One of my amazon swords is trying to break out of my 29g and my water sprite needs to be heavily pruned every two weeks or it completely takes over my 20L.

Thanks for the advice. Are these all low-tech plants? I have slightly less than 2w/g. 96W on a 50g tank to be precise.

Water sprite is definitely low tech. I think mine grows like a weed because I have about 4Wpg on my 20L. My amazon swords do ok with about 2Wpg, but I've heard other people have had problems with them at that light level. I think using root tabs once in a while go a long way with the swords.

Also try jungle val. It is a low to med light plant and low tech, and cheap. Very hardy as well. I have it in ever tank, including our brackish one. it will send out runners for new growth.

you would have a much easier time if you went ahead and rehomed the two plecos before they outgrow the tank instead of planning everything around them only to have to rehome them down the road

I also vote for amazon sword...but how large is your tank? amazon swords can outgrow a tank quickly...they are low maintenance and can thrive in slightlyless than 2 wpg. A root tab will give them everything else they need. I have had bristlenose plecos hang out all day long attached to the leaves of the amazon sword ...they will have what'd time uprooting a sword once it is established :)

you would have a much easier time if you went ahead and rehomed the two plecos before they outgrow the tank instead of planning everything around them only to have to rehome them down the road

I've had them in this tank for 4 years now. I know they need a bigger home but I'll be moving out within the next year and getting married. So saving for a house and a wedding doesn't leave me with much additional money. :nono:

I also vote for amazon sword...but how large is your tank? amazon swords can outgrow a tank quickly...they are low maintenance and can thrive in slightlyless than 2 wpg. A root tab will give them everything else they need. I have had bristlenose plecos hang out all day long attached to the leaves of the amazon sword ...they will have what'd time uprooting a sword once it is established :)

The tank is 36" x 18" x 19" (Or at least very close to that). If I did go with the sword, does it come potted? Would leaving it in the pot help it from being uprooted by my common pleco?

Back
Top Bottom