Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adadkins1 said:
Yes, I understand your situation. When I moved from my 10g to my 20 tall I ended up with a dead Amazon Sword. That's when I knew I had low light. However, there are some really good low light plants out there.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/go.php
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php

Awesome thanks for the site! I have booked marked so many site that I have so much info it's great! I think I'm gonna keep my light fixture and just try new bulbs for new see what happens. And I looked at my hood it does say 25 watt max so that's what I'll stick with. I'm still cycling so no fish yet! I'll just have to see how I like the look of the tank first

I'd advise getting these bulbs: Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 100-Watt Equivalent Soft White Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (ENERGY STAR) at Lowes.com. That would put you at pretty low lighting so Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, Hornwort, and Crypts would be the best. I had 2 of these running on my 20 tall and I couldn't really grow all that much.

*NOTE: If you go the above route, make sure you get the bulbs called "Daylight: 6500K".

Maybe I'm misreading something, but 46 watts over a 20g is not low lighting imo. That's in the medium range, even over a tall.

Stunning tanks! I wish I was that good at aquascaping.

In my experience, I couldn't grow anything in my 20 TALL with 46W. Sure, it sounds like it should be medium. However, all my plants went from thriving in my 26W CFL 10g to dying in my 46W 20 tall. Tall tanks are just hard to light. You can grow plenty of floating plants and the like, but when it comes to stuff planted in the substrate you are fairly limited IME.

You can always take the top off and hang CFLs. Pointing down they are MUCH more effective !! Several club members adapt clamp or desk lamps secure them safely and no top needed ( as long as you don't have jumping fish) or you can screen the top.

Coursair said:
You can always take the top off and hang CFLs. Pointing down they are MUCH more effective !! Several club members adapt clamp or desk lamps secure them safely and no top needed ( as long as you don't have jumping fish) or you can screen the top.

Idk of I have fish that jump or make that want fish that jump since I'm still in the process of cycling but I like the look of the tank with the hood plus my cat takes a lot of interest in my tank and that just dosnt seem smart for me lol. If I can't end up growing plants I'll be ok with plastic I just mostly want a white bright light to show off the colors. I have a led light system that came with my 3 gallon and I LOVE it!

adadkins1 said:
Stunning tanks! I wish I was that good at aquascaping.

In my experience, I couldn't grow anything in my 20 TALL with 46W. Sure, it sounds like it should be medium. However, all my plants went from thriving in my 26W CFL 10g to dying in my 46W 20 tall. Tall tanks are just hard to light. You can grow plenty of floating plants and the like, but when it comes to stuff planted in the substrate you are fairly limited IME.

That's alright! I'll try it and if I have the same experience as you I'll just be happy to have a nice bright white light!

Yeah, you will be able to grow plants. The thing is not trying to grow medium-high light plants like I was. :facepalm: I can't wait to see it all set up!

With a 20 tall, you're going to want to push the CFLs as much as possible. You might consider trying 15w instead of 13w if you can find them, more if your hood is rated for it. CFLs will very likely beat out a T8 single bulb strip light in this situation.

I can't say many nice things about LEDs unfortunately. The technology is currently there to make decent fixtures, but only in DIY type setups. The premade hoods (doublebrights, etc) leave a lot to be desired.

adadkins1 said:
Yeah, you will be able to grow plants. The thing is not trying to grow medium-high light plants like I was. :facepalm: I can't wait to see it all set up!

Right now it's like part set up and cycling. I have most of the stuff I want in it and then a few more things to put in once I'm done cycling and can take the angels plus filter out and put my new one in. I ordered an aquaclear 70 on Friday cuz the filter my tank came with is a tetra whisper and I hate it!! Lol. I want a HOB.

aqua_chem said:
With a 20 tall, you're going to want to push the CFLs as much as possible. You might consider trying 15w instead of 13w if you can find them, more if your hood is rated for it. CFLs will very likely beat out a T8 single bulb strip light in this situation.

I can't say many nice things about LEDs unfortunately. The technology is currently there to make decent fixtures, but only in DIY type setups. The premade hoods (doublebrights, etc) leave a lot to be desired.

Ok so LED is out for now. Im gonna just try new bulbs. My hood says max watt is 25 so idk?

This is what it looks like now.

Attachments

• image-1321494466.jpg
    image-1321494466.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image-377932961.jpg
    image-377932961.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 49
The 25 watt max is per socket so you can put two 25 watt bulbs in there. Make sure the splash guard stays clean so it doesn't reduce the intensity even more.

Atxpunx said:
The 25 watt max is per socket so you can put two 25 watt bulbs in there. Make sure the splash guard stays clean so it doesn't reduce the intensity even more.

Ohh! Thanks!!

Good idea to save money for now and just go with the CFL bulbs. You can increase the light output a little more by putting a shiny reflector in the fixture if there isn't already one there. You will be able to grow plenty in that tank with the new bulbs. Important thing is to make sure the light is the correct spectrum for the plants. Bulbs should say Daylight on the package or the kelvin rating should be listed somewhere. You want it to be somewhere between 5000k-10,000k. the closer to 10,000 the more blueish the light looks. most of them are 5500k or 6500k. Dont get them if it says Plant light unless you want it to look pink.

Also remember that the CFLs only last about 1-1/2 years give or take in the correct spectrum for the plants even though they are still turning on. So mark the date of installation down somewhere that way when you suddenly start seeing a lot of algae you know how old the bulbs are and whether they might need to be changed.

FishEggs said:
Good idea to save money for now and just go with the CFL bulbs. You can increase the light output a little more by putting a shiny reflector in the fixture if there isn't already one there. You will be able to grow plenty in that tank with the new bulbs. Important thing is to make sure the light is the correct spectrum for the plants. Bulbs should say Daylight on the package or the kelvin rating should be listed somewhere. You want it to be somewhere between 5000k-10,000k. the closer to 10,000 the more blueish the light looks. most of them are 5500k or 6500k. Dont get them if it says Plant light unless you want it to look pink.

Also remember that the CFLs only last about 1-1/2 years give or take in the correct spectrum for the plants even though they are still turning on. So mark the date of installation down somewhere that way when you suddenly start seeing a lot of algae you know how old the bulbs are and whether they might need to be changed.

Awesome thank you! Can't wait to get new lights!

Back
Top Bottom