Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Z,

That is a very inexpensive way to fertilize! I found the 00 capsules and Lowes has osmocote. Looked on the website and found "Mono Potassium Phosphate

1 lb. MKP or KH2PO4"

My "broad leaf anubias" is growing nicely new leaves all the time, the other anubias is dying off it has taller pointy leaves and the Amazon swords are alive but no new growth. The Java moss is green I have to research it's growth rate. These are great tips! :thanks:

Oh is the right osmocote?

Yep that’s the stuff I believe. Does it say slow release anywhere on the package/description?

Any pics of each individual plant?

Maybe get a new thread going to answer all the more specific questions about each plant/getting them all growing nicely??

Will do, gotta clean my glass LOL. It's hard to keep up with the calcium deposits and I scrub a few times a week!. And yes the osmocote says:

Our best formula, fortified with 11 essential nutrients
Works with virtually all plant varieties, in all growing conditions
Feeds up to 6 full months
Apply with confidence to potted plants, indoors or outdoors
No-burn pledge when used as directed

Will do, gotta clean my glass LOL. It's hard to keep up with the calcium deposits and I scrub a few times a week!. And yes the osmocote says:

Our best formula, fortified with 11 essential nutrients
Works with virtually all plant varieties, in all growing conditions
Feeds up to 6 full months
Apply with confidence to potted plants, indoors or outdoors
No-burn pledge when used as directed

I know how you feel about the hard water deposits lol

Yea, that’s the right osmocote. I make my own custom tabs so I wasn’t sure exactly of the correct osmocote, but that is the right stuff from my not so recent memories ;)

Can this plant be saved? I am planning on putting it in my 30 gallon with some root tabs. I researched it and it is supposed to be a low light plant. Echinodorus Bleherae

Attachments

• Bleherae.jpg
    Bleherae.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 49
Yes it can be saved because it is not showing fully submerged leaves. Still has mostly emersed leaves and a couple of transitional ones. That’s why it looks a little worse for wear.

Got a bunch or hornwort, swords and one other unidentified plant will post picture later. I also got a moss ball - can moss balls be dipped in bleach?

Throw a root tab under it and watch it grow. It will help. Looks like it's still got some good roots going. I got one like that and it's coming back. Lots of new growth. See pics. I just trimmed all the really bad leaves and threw a tab under it. 20180404_165838.jpg20180404_165741.jpg

Ok all tanks got major cleaning and water change. (y)Got some nice plants can someone tell me what the plant on the right is (on the left photo)? I know the hornwort, do I want hornwort? :ermm:Reminds me of pine trees with the little needles coming off. My nano tank looks FAB but it's cloudy after cleaning will take a picture tomorrow. Belanna lives in that one (female betta juvie) and I think the built in filter might be dying already. :banghead: Put root tabs in the 2 tanks. (y)Also got my Red Wag Platy's in QT but they look orange now? :confused:

Attachments

• 2New plants 4-4.jpg
    2New plants 4-4.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2platys.jpg
    2platys.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 25
Jungle Val. Them are nice to have. They get pretty tall. As for the platy's, they come in all different colors. Could be just your light too.

You can float your hornwort too. Maybe you'll like it better. Your platy's will, if you bunch it up kinda like a little nest for them. They like to play in that kinda stuff.

Looks like spiral val to me, not jungle. Small detail.... If you like the look of hornwort but don't like the "mess" it can cause, look into myriophyllum mattogrossense. Less dirty and looks a little nicer than hortwort IMO, it can also be floated, but if you're looking for nice floaters grab some red root floaters or some dwarf water lettuce.

Just my $0.02, plants look good tho

Oh, yes, spiral Val. Sorry jungle is straight. That is what they call corkscrew. Still trying to get the names of plants down. Lol!

Looks like spiral val to me, not jungle. Small detail.... If you like the look of hornwort but don't like the "mess" it can cause, look into myriophyllum mattogrossense. Less dirty and looks a little nicer than hortwort IMO, it can also be floated, but if you're looking for nice floaters grab some red root floaters or some dwarf water lettuce.

Just my $0.02, plants look good tho
Thanks Z I was hoping you would chime in. I love this spiral val but it is very tall. Will it hurt to trim the tops down? I will probably have to mail order myriophyllum mattogrossense I did not see anything like that at the store.
Since I didn't have that many plants I got a pack of Seachem root tabs a few weeks ago and the plants look a little better. I am dealing with brown algae diatoms growing on my nice plants, grrr! :thanks:

Plant Substrate

Starting to plan my 30 gallon rescape to a low tech planted one. I love the look of the black round clay -Fluval Stratum? Eco- Complete? I have high ph and very very hard water so I am not sure if these substrates affect ph, hardness etc. Some say yes, some say no. Also do they become mud?
Thanks

Starting to plan my 30 gallon rescape to a low tech planted one. I love the look of the black round clay -Fluval Stratum? Eco- Complete? I have high ph and very very hard water so I am not sure if these substrates affect ph, hardness etc. Some say yes, some say no. Also do they become mud?

Thanks

Go with a black blasting sand if you like the black colour.

Stratum will not be a good choice for hard water or for long term use, it turns to muck and effects pH/kH.

Eco comp is way over priced, it’s inert crushed lava rock, poor CEC and loses its black colour over time and hard to plant smaller plants into.

Flourite black has low CEC, and is over priced plus hard to plant small plants into.

Back
Top Bottom