Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralocean

Aquarium Advice Freak
I find I'm buying more and more real plants, something I never did in the past. For the moment I am staying low light. I have Amazon Sword, broad leaf Anubias and a little bit of Java Fern. I am considering helping them out a little and need some advice.

Should I use root tabs?
Seachem Flourish?

Or something else? I have gravel substrate and high ph 8.3
Thanks!

I find I'm buying more and more real plants, something I never did in the past. For the moment I am staying low light. I have Amazon Sword, broad leaf Anubias and a little bit of Java Fern. I am considering helping them out a little and need some advice.

Should I use root tabs?
Seachem Flourish?

Or something else? I have gravel substrate and high ph 8.3
Thanks!

Root tabs - Swords/crypts/vals/crinum/apongetons etc.
Flourish - Good for micros (although with a high pH like yours you may need to supplement with other forms, butttttt low light/low tech you should be fine). no macro's in flourish though.
Flourics excel - good Carbon supplement.

Grab an all in one fertilizer like thrive, or some dry ferts and look up PPS-Pro. easy way to fertilize low tech tanks IMO.

I'm in the same boat as you Coral. Plants do ehh in my tank and I got 8.6 pH. I've never really focused on plant care and usually pick something easy and hardy. I run an LED strip about 10-12 hours a day. I always keep maxed out tanks in fish stock so maybe that helps them? They don't die but after seeing pics on here I can tell the difference in plant health.

So....thanks Z. I just ordered some Thrive. I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

Iron and potassium for most plants the fish will do the rest.

Too many variables with this. While certainly some anubias and java fern can do fine with mostly fish waste, swords for example will start to show deficiencies and slow growth after a month if you aren't supplying them with loads of fertilizer.

Over fertilizing isn't really a big concern, EI dosing anyone? My vote goes for an all in one like Thrive, or what Bandit posted, I personally use dry ferts and either dose dry or make up a solution. Why limit the plants to just P and Fe? If we go with an all in one product, we know we are giving them everything they need.

All this from me, who cares more about plant health than fish, sooooo I may be a little:whistle: biased

Requirement for plants:
1.light
2.carbon
3. Macros
4. Micros

Dry ferts is good stuff. Not to expensive and will last you loong time (I'm still on the pack I bought 3 years ago) But for the plants you mentioned (slow growing low tech) you can easily get by without. Fish poop for macros , dose of flourish once a week and you will be good. Seachem tab under that Amazon will last for few month if not more.

As soon as you give things more light it all becomes more complicated. Macros need to be suplemented along with trace (micro) elements, source of carbon will be very very useful, pretty much a requirement. Daily dose of Excel will run your first bottle out really fast and you will be looking at getting metricide14 by gallon. You will really want some faster growing plants (stems) to take the nutrients out of the water before algae has room to grow. Seachem tabs become not cost effective, you will want to roll your own tabs with osmocote.
And it all goes downhill from there :)
Good luck

Lots of great responses. I was reading about the micro - macro, I am a major newbie in the planted tank area. My water is high in calcium and magnesium, do any of these ferts cause algae breakouts or is that more of a strong light issue? Do they affect Nitrates?

P.S.
I am planning a new tank with plants. It will take me a while I need to move some furniture LOL. I will then start researching C02 and lighting - but that's not till summer. I am going to build it myself....kinda with help lol.

Over fertilizing isn't really a big concern, EI dosing anyone?

Too many variables with this also. Not many people use EI that actively participate in this forum either. Some nice tanks mind.

If you are prepared for slower growth you don’t have to supply much else other than fish food and some people care more about their pets than their plants.

Too many variables with this also. Not many people use EI that actively participate in this forum either. Some nice tanks mind.

If you are prepared for slower growth you don’t have to supply much else other than fish food and some people care more about their pets than their plants.
Plants are living organisms too. ?

Sometime I look at my fish and think they are nice decorations for my plants...
That said I will do whatever it takes to have healthy fish. SA cichlids are the dogs of the aquarium!

The only issue I have if someone is prepared for slower growth by using the fish waste method, is that the plants just don't look as attractive... in a lot of cases, not all cases of course. Lower leaves brown and fall off, holes in leaves etc. Certainly the plants will live, but they don't look as attractive as tanks with "better" fertilizer dosing programs. Again, there are exceptions and I'm certainly not bashing anyone using this method.

I should add that I choose to have planted tanks with fish rather than fish tanks with plants. All my fish are well taken care of, I just focus on the plants with fish to compliment/contrast.

The only issue I have if someone is prepared for slower growth by using the fish waste method, is that the plants just don't look as attractive... in a lot of cases, not all cases of course. Lower leaves brown and fall off, holes in leaves etc. Certainly the plants will live, but they don't look as attractive as tanks with "better" fertilizer dosing programs. Again, there are exceptions and I'm certainly not bashing anyone using this method.

I should add that I choose to have planted tanks with fish rather than fish tanks with plants. All my fish are well taken care of, I just focus on the plants with fish to compliment/contrast.

I get that but it depends on what the OP is after. She is going low light after all. I’m not sure why she wants to help then along.

OP is there anything wrong with the plants you have?

Sorry, I didn't remember she's got gravel. I just put down eco complete in my tank and is not like just gravel. I was just say'n for most plant iron is good for them. But it might just be something I read about the plants I'm getting.

I would say my fish are the priority, but I love plants. In the summer I do a lot of outside flower gardening and a couple of vegetable plants also. Aquarium plants are new to me so I simply want to learn as much as I can before I do a "planted tank". I am not fond of my plastic plants this time around.

Sorry, I didn't remember she's got gravel. I just put down eco complete in my tank and is not like just gravel. I was just say'n for most plant iron is good for them. But it might just be something I read about the plants I'm getting.
I got just gravel that I shoved the plant roots into. They are growing on strictly fish poo and an LED strip. I do use carbon filters in my tanks if it matters. Like I said, my plants are alive but they don't look nearly as good as a lot of planted tanks on here look with fertilizer treatment. I do get die off every now and again. But....I'm learning a lot here from these types of conversations. ?

Back to the original question, @Coralocean you can pick up some size 00 gel capsules off amazon and some osmocote plus granule fertilizer. Fill the capsules with the fertilizer, close them and place as needed. This is a more cost effective way than going with API or Seachem tabs, but any tabs will work. The osmocote tabs should last a month or two. Generally, broad leaved plants (non-stem style plants such as swords and crypts) show the greatest response to root tabs.

Check out aquariumfertilizer . com's macro/micro mix, I personally use it with no issues. There isn't any Phosphorous in it however, so I supplement with KH2PO4 (dosed directly into the tank as it CANNOT be mixed into the macro/micro solution. KH2PO4 is also sold by aquariumfertilizer . com).

Because of your higher pH, many nutrients may be converted into less available forms for plants, so look into some Flourish Iron and Flourish Comprehensive.

In my low tech tank I follow the directions from aquariumfertilizer . com to make up a solution, and then dose 1mL of solution per 10 gallons of tank water. You could cut this down slightly to 1 mL per 15/20 gallons if you have a light plant mass. I then add a pinch of KH2PO4. After a water change I'll dose some Flourish Iron and Flourish Comprehensive.

If you skip a day or two, no big deal, it does not call for big water changes, so your regular weekly routine should work well. Keep the solution in a fridge or add a few mL of excel/metricide and store in a DARK area. One pound of ferts should last you a long time.

When I had a high pH tank, Rotala rotundipholia, vallisneria, sagitteria, crypts, hygrophila and java fern always did well for me. Swords and anubias not so much. Perhaps look into a few of those and see if you like them? They are all ~ low light and fairly "easy" to grow.

Thanks Z,

That is a very inexpensive way to fertilize! I found the 00 capsules and Lowes has osmocote. Looked on the website and found "Mono Potassium Phosphate
1 lb. MKP or KH2PO4"

My "broad leaf anubias" is growing nicely new leaves all the time, the other anubias is dying off it has taller pointy leaves and the Amazon swords are alive but no new growth. The Java moss is green I have to research it's growth rate. These are great tips! :thanks:
Oh is the right osmocote?

Attachments

• osmo.jpg
    osmo.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom