Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only 50 watts? Thats a good deal of lighting for a 10 gallon. 5 watts per gallon. That would mean plants that do good in high lighting. I don't know a good deal about the wattage per gallon but if you have 2 watts per gallon youd be good for many plant types. I know many sword plants can tolerate med-high light. Fountain plants, cabomba, wheat plants, and wisteria are good hardy plants that do well in high lighting.

50 watts is ample light for only 10 gallons!

you should start out cycling your tank with fast growing plants, there are plenty of sites that sell plant assortment kits for new tanks.

you can try www.aquabotanic.com or www.aquabid.com or just do a search on google for 'aquarium plants' :)

5 wpg, you can grow anything you want! Just keep in mind that many plants, such as some varieties of Amazon Swords, will grow too tall and/or wide for a 10 gallon. Other than that, go for it!

oh cool i thought it was gona be too little. I have some guppies in the tank so what would they do good with.

50 whats?

50 watts, as in two 25 watt "tube bulbs"?

(see attached picture)

50 watts fluorescent would be great, 50 watts incandescent will only get you a lot of heat and plenty of algae (due to the red color of the light, algae loves red light)

if it's in your budget, try going to a home depot store and see what kinds of "daylight" fluorescent screw-in bulbs they have, should be like 7, 11 or 13 watts, around $6 to $10 each

btw, a good plant to start with would be called "Anacharis" aka egeria densa or eldola?

it grows good in just about any light, and it's a nice bright green, plus if you need more plants, just cut your stalks in half and both halves will keep growing.

go for the CFL's (compact fluorescent light) ... Walmart or a home improvement warehouse should have what you need ... be sure it's "Daylight" or Cool-White, a lot of the cheap cfl's are designed to be very red/orange to look like traditional bulbs

they will screw right into your hood and then you'll be set to experiment with plants!

Just thought I could throw this in, I have fairly little experience with plants, the plants I do keep are swordplants like amazon sword, radican sword, anachris, and java moss. They are very easy and don't seem to require much extra care. They grow fast and I especially like the anachris because it keeps growing and it multiplys enough to where I just went to the LFS and asked if I could just have the leftover pieces floating in the tank for free, and a few months later I have a pretty nice supply of it.

P.S. the plants I recommended earlier are the ones that the LFS reccomended to me, or ones that my friends kept and said that they were easy to keep and fish tended not to eat them.

Do you think you could get me some pictures because i want to make sure i know which plants im buying. The plants at my LFS labels them but on the glass so im not sure if it's saying one plant or the other.

Hey! Thats cool, I just recently finished setting up a 10 gallon tank.. check this out: :idea: I bought an incandecant hood at wal-mart, plus for 9 bucks I bought two 20 watt spiral flourecent bulbs, = to 75 watt incandecant... so basically 40 compact flourecent rating. I took out the plastic shield and the reflector (they got in the way) Though a bit exessive lighting.. its not THAT over the hill. It does get a bit hot by the vents.. but again not THAT hot. Just today I bought a bunch of different plants, 3 banana plants (which I had from before... they were dying because of lack of lighting so I did this drastic set up), 1 ludwiga (which looks nice), anacaria (think I spelt it wrong) but it mega green, and 2 visaria (another not spelt right I think). I spaced them out a bit to give them some room to grow.
But anyway I pray this set up works because I am tired of not having a decent freshwater tank with nice plants to manage and I just got my digital camera in use, and its pretty cool! Hell I even got the mag-flo cleaner because I got all excited for this set up :twisted: The funny thing is that the only resident is a crawfish. If this set up doesn't work hate to have added victims :(

The funny thing is that the only resident is a crawfish.

Uh-Oh!!!

Crawfish + plants = shredded plants!! maybe not right away, but sooner or later, Mr. crawdad is going to rip your plants up.

Do you think you could get me some pictures because i want to make sure i know which plants im buying.

Lots of places online to look at pictures of AQ plants. google, images, aquarium plants.

:( Doh! this sucks, I kinda forgot that crawfish do that :cry: - Well no matter he'll just have to go into my fiance's tank of fake plants (boooooooooooo) :D

Does anyone know how to post pics in these posts... I tried but it never works.. do I need speacial permission?? thanks

Back
Top Bottom