Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to purchase a few more plants this week for my 10 gallon, when you buy the plant it comes in a black thing and some green stuff around it, do i take it out of the black thing but leave the green stuff, or just put in the roots?

I assume you mean potted plants in a basket type thingy? I think EMS said this in some other thread, take it out of the black basket, but leave the other stuff(growing medium) on, bury that in the gravel. just barely cover that, so the plant isn't too deep.

thats what i did with my java fern but i think its causing some particles all in water

Hi, If you can remove the material around the plant roots without destroying the root do so if not gently spread the material and plant it.
If you cannot remove the material it will be okay this way.

I have never seen Java fern come potted before.

Java fern gets anchored to a rock or drift wood and it roots to these,
Java fern is usually just the leave and roots.

You can use rubber bands or string to attach the Java fern to the rock or driftwood in a couple of weeks remove the band and it should be anchored.

My exerience with that stuff is that after about a month the stuff killed the root and stem where that stuff wrapped around the plant,
you are suppose to remove it but depending on the time the plant has lived at the store removing can be difficult, I remove it and if i loose a couple pieces of root i don't worry to much i just plant it.

one think to try when your removing that stuff do it under water.

Another thing I heard about pots is that it doesn't allow the root to grow but you can look at the pot to tell that.

hope this helps good luck, :wink:
Chris

Back
Top Bottom