plants and ich meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delfino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 29 high planted to the brim which has been doing great for over a year now.i happen to lose two cory cats and went to petco,ugh to replace them.now my whole tank has ich!im wondering if i buy ich meds will it kill my plants?i raised the heat and did a partial water change just now.any advice would help.thanks!!!

Kordon Ich Attack is plant and invert safe AFAIK.

Plants don't like salt. If you aren't sure you can ask the manufacturer.

I emailed Tetra about their tablet Ich Guard tablets. Tetra says they are plant safe as well, but NOT Invert safe (snails, shrimp, etc..).

Heat will make the life cycle go faster, but heat alone shouldn't kill Ich AFAIK.

My fish seem to have fought the Ich off on their own, no deaths, no signs of illness at all. But I will be treating with Fenbendazole , it is a dog dewormer effective against Planaria and some are using it for Ich as well. I know it won't hurt my Shrimp or Snails or Plants. I've used it before. Plus i already have some.

From the research I've done if you use heat only it will kill the ick, but it has to up to about 88 degrees. I'm currently doing a heat only treatment and it's working for me. All fish have showed no signs for over a week.

I've used Kordon, the 95% organic formula. I dosed 1.5 the dosage for 5 weeks. It worked like a charm. The duration was longer but worth saving my plants.

Back
Top Bottom