Plants and Lighting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5280aquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So here it is . I have a 30Gal planted tank and the lighting system has 2 T5 HO spots . What i need/ would like to know is .

I have :

2x 10,000k
2x 460nm
1x Colormax
1x 6,700k

What combo of two like would you use and what would be more useful with the plants .

Thanks

I would use a 6700k and 10,000k. The 6700k closely represents the color temp of the sun (out of the bulbs you have) and the 10,000k would give it a nice crisp look. The plants can still utilize the 10,000k bulb as well. Overall, that would probably maximize utilization of plant growth with that combo.

Yeah i was told that 10,000k can sometimes be to bright for certain breed of fish ? (true? false?)

5280aquarium said:
Yeah i was told that 10,000k can sometimes be to bright for certain breed of fish ? (true? false?)

Well I have a planted tank and I use a floramax and a 12,000k for my tank and I've never had any problems at all in regards to it being to bright for fish

I decided to go all 6.7k on all 3 of my HO fixtures on my 150 planted. I left the 10k in to see the difference but it still looks good with all 6.7k. Lots of people will do a 6.7k and a day bulb

Mr.Pleco said:
I decided to go all 6.7k on all 3 of my HO fixtures on my 150 planted. I left the 10k in to see the difference but it still looks good with all 6.7k. Lots of people will do a 6.7k and a day bulb

Do you grow glosso or HC? The only down fall to mine is that I cannot grow glosso well because my 12000k bulb is pretty much pointless. I'm about to invest in all 6500k bulbs if it's worth it.

Do you grow glosso or HC? The only down fall to mine is that I cannot grow glosso well because my 12000k bulb is pretty much pointless. I'm about to invest in all 6500k bulbs if it's worth it.

No, I have vals, pennywort, anubis, swords, ferns, sprite, temple, hairgrass, sag, and cabomba.

Everything is fine except my swords but it's iron deficiency and I haven't dosed ferts yet.

I know it's all about what's pleasing to the eye as far as bulbs (for some people). But for me personally, I don't think going 6.7k looks bad. I'm not sure how much different a 6.5k is but I don't think it'd be too much different.

Okay thanks!! Yeah I always understood it did depend on the kelvin temp and apparently now it doesn't? Haha

No, I have vals, pennywort, anubis, swords, ferns, sprite, temple, hairgrass, sag, and cabomba.

Everything is fine except my swords but it's iron deficiency and I haven't dosed ferts yet.

I know it's all about what's pleasing to the eye as far as bulbs (for some people). But for me personally, I don't think going 6.7k looks bad. I'm not sure how much different a 6.5k is but I don't think it'd be too much different.

Your Swords would love some root tabs :) Mine did. You can make your own or buy some. My Chain Swords took off and now they grow like weeds. I gotta pull extra Swords out every week LOL
My Amazon Swords are alive and kicking. I dose root tabs every 4-6 months.

Okay thanks!! Yeah I always understood it did depend on the kelvin temp and apparently now it doesn't? Haha

It depends on who you talk to. Some on here are adamant that it makes no difference. My plant club tells me the 6,500K-6,700K have the most useable light for plants. So that's what I aim for. It looks nice and my plants are happy, so I'm happy.

You can grow plants under other Kelvin ratings, but they may be pale or leggier or be just fine. I try to keep it simple.

Coursair said:
Your Swords would love some root tabs :) Mine did. You can make your own or buy some. My Chain Swords took off and now they grow like weeds. I gotta pull extra Swords out every week LOL
My Amazon Swords are alive and kicking. I dose root tabs every 4-6 months.

I know. I have root medic tabs but I should probably put more than just one. I found a thread on making tabs that in going I try with my friend. They helped some on one of the swords but the other 2 just haven't done much

Judging a bulb based on it's color temp is like judging a football team exclusively on their quarterback. It might be the most obvious thing, but anyone who knows anything about football knows it's the entire team that makes the team win games.

Back
Top Bottom