plants and pots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to put some of my plants in pots if that is practical. The reason is I have a sand substrate and one of the plants I got came with a terra cota pot and it goes very well in the decor of the tank. Now onto the newb questions. Can I use regular previously unused terra cota pots? What do I put in the pots? Obviously not dirt, LOL. I think the pot that came with my plant has a plant substrate and some gravel to keep it in the pot. TIA.

You can use terracota pots no problem. As for what to use inside the pot you could even use the sand if you wanted. One thing I would do is break the bottom out so the roots can spread. Being in the pot the roots will compact and stunt the plants growth.

Pots are actually a good idea for plants that put out runners, you can somewhat control them easier. If I ever find a pot that is about 3 inches wide, 17 inches long and 2-4 inches deep i'd use it to keep my vals from running wild. Be helpful on my sags also but i could use a wider and longer pot on that.

I thought sand wasn't the best substrate for plants? I have sand in my tank and my onion plants thrive in it, but they are bulbs and I thought they might be an exception because of that.

Sand does not have any nutruent value for the plants. It is a good meduim to plant them in, but I would put a root tab in the bottom of the pot to give the roots something to eat. As for the bottoms, to keep or poke out, I would keep them. You may have to pull the entire pot out every couple of months and trim the roots, to keep the plant from becomming root-bound.

You can use sand, you just need to either make sure that it doesn't compact. This can be achieved by using MTS or manually stirring the sand occasionally.

If your going to pot them, I'd get some flourite and some aquarium specific plant soil (like EcoComplete). Put those in the pot with the roots down in (keep rhizomes out if the plants have any), and then put a small amount of your substrate on top. This should prevent clouding of the water and make it look like they are potted in your PFS. I'd do all of this in a bucket or something instead of directly in the tank to keep clouding to a minimum.

I like that idea 7enigma. I was thinking something along those lines myself. I love the plants they are quite the addition to the tank, but like the control and ease of cleaning the pots provide. Thanks so much everyone, as usual you all have been so helpful. I shake my head to think where I'd have been without this place.

Back
Top Bottom