Plants and tank chemistry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xplanes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I took back the overstock in my 6g tank. I now have 2-Rosy Barbs, 1-albino Aeneus Catfish, and 1-Tetra that seems to be thin in width and tall in hight, having neon along its back.

I have two small live plants and two plastic ones. I saw the post recommending Java Moss, but read that it adds to the nitrate level. So far I have had a high ammonia level do to the over stocking. I was wondering if getting moss like this would help or hinder getting the tank to cycle. Should I get some while it is getting settled or after the cycling has completed? I'm not looking for a yes or no answer as much as I am trying to understand how plants fit in the equation. Since they seem optional I am lost. :)

Live plants are great in aquariums. Plants reduce both ammonia and nitrate levels since they are both sources of nitrogen and plants use that to grow.

Not sure where you heard that Java Moss adds nitrate to an aquarium. If anything, it actually uses and depletes it.

I would put the plants in as soon as possible. I am cycling a 40 gallon tank, and I put the plants in before I put the fish in. By doing this, it allowed the plants to become "established". Then as the ammonia starts to rise, the plants will be able to use that and keep the levels to a minimum while cycling is taking place.

I want to note that it is possible to heavily plant an aquarium so much that the cycle will actually never take place. This is because the plants are using up all the ammonia before the beneficial bacteria get a chance to turn it into nitrite. Pretty neat!!

Thanks. I used the word Java Moss in the first post as a link but it didn't show on the background very well. That article shows it covering the bottom of the tank so it seems the context IS having a high plant stock. That is why I posted the question becuase the statement has me confused from what I have been reading elsewhere. Thanks for explaining that. I like the idea of using plants for ground cover rather than a thick layer of gravel. It sure looks more natural.

I had tropical fish for years until 15 years ago. My recent return to the hobby has taught me there is much more to it than I first thought. I don't know how I ever did so well with just PH monitoring. I will be buying a house this winter and want to build a 100+ gallon tank. I will be devouring these forums in advance of starting that project. I really want something with lush vegitation and rockery. Now I know I need driftwood too. :oops:

I want to note that it is possible to heavily plant an aquarium so much that the cycle will actually never take place.

Actually, as I understand it, the cycle does take place, but at levels so low they are unmeasurable on hobbyiest test kits! It's called a "Silent Cycle".

There are different theories on whether the tank should be cycled first, or planted from the start. I prefer planitng straight away, but certain plants prefer nitrate over ammonia, so if you want those type plants, its better to cycle first, then plant later.
I will be buying a house this winter and want to build a 100+ gallon tank. I will be devouring these forums in advance of starting that project. I really want something with lush vegitation and rockery. Now I know I need driftwood too.

Good, research, research, research! It will save you time and money, and lead to way less mistakes! Insofar as your aquascape goes, you don't have to have driftwood, but it sure does come in handy for attaching plants. There are many tanks out there with just rocks, or just driftwood, and some with both. (Of course all with a good planting substrate).

Look through the pics here for all types of inspiration!

http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest/index.asp

WOW! Thanks for the link. That is artwork. I am kinda partial to 1, 10, 15, and 31. Lush with large open areas. I will be pouring over that page for a while. :D

Actually, as I understand it, the cycle does take place, but at levels so low they are unmeasurable on hobbyiest test kits! It's called a "Silent Cycle".

Ahh... Very cool. I did not know that.

Welcome back, btw! :)

Back
Top Bottom