Plants and UGF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to add plants to a 29g community tank with plain gravel substrate and a UGF. Just ordered a 65w CF light that will get here tomorrow :)

How well will plants do with a UGF? Would I be limited to plants that will attach to rocks/etc?

While it can be done, I'd recommend that you swap it out for a HOB filter instead. It'll make it a lot easier to care for the tank without causing extra problems for your plants and/or the filter.

I thinkyou would be fine with most plants that are not heavy root feeders. I grew plants in pots for quite a while when I had a UGF. It actually worked quite well.

none of those are heavy rooters, with the possible exception of whatever 'grass' plant you choose.

teh bigger issue is that UGF's need to be pulled up once a year and cleaned, which means pulling all the plants out, and that stresses them a little.

UGF has its place, especially RUGF, but for the most part its an out-dated filter system.

Back
Top Bottom