plants are very healthy, but not spreading or growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok here is my plan:

I called around and found a 5 lb co2 container for $35. gonna get that, rip a power head out of my SW tank and run the co2 thru an airstone into the PH.

as for ferts, i need a formula for a dummy.

the current CO2 is just the line running into the tank.

also i;ll raise the H2O level. right now, it is hard to keep it high, but i;ll top off daily if i have to.

Any other advice?

If you are going to put an air stone on the co2 line consider one of these.

I'm using one now for co2. I have it just below the suction of my canister filter. It breaks the co2 down into a hair-fine stream of bubbles. So small in fact that the flow of water into the suction tube "bends" the stream and sucks them right in. I get no bubbles what so ever out of the filter. I think this type of diffuser under a power head would work quite nicely. And they are cheap!

SparKy697 said:
If you are going to put an air stone on the co2 line consider one of these.

I'm using one now for co2. I have it just below the suction of my canister filter. It breaks the co2 down into a hair-fine stream of bubbles. So small in fact that the flow of water into the suction tube "bends" the stream and sucks them right in. I get no bubbles what so ever out of the filter. I think this type of diffuser under a power head would work quite nicely. And they are cheap!

$10 shipping though! Just for a 2pack of those!

FWIW I have great success feeding CO2 directly into the intake of my filters. I have a cascade 700 and a 1500 canister on a 55 and 90 respectively. I also have a Magnum HOT canister on a 29 set up the same way. It will work on your whisper too. It's without a doubt the cheapest and easiest way of diffusing CO2 on most tanks. Some filters tend to "burp" a bit but it overall works very well. If you want to take the extra effort you can install your airstone below/in the intake as well.

For best CO2 diffusion and retention most people wind up with canister filters on heavily planted tanks. Since you're going pressurised I would suggest the same for you. I think we're talking about a 55 so the Magnum HOT won't quite do and I'm not really happy with the cascade filters so unless your budget's tight I won't recommend them.

Some folks suggest looking for a canister with a bottom mounted moter if you plan to diffuse CO2 directly into it.

Code:
$10 shipping though! Just for a 2pack of those!

True. I was really only using that for a reference. I bought mine at a lfs for $2.50.

My point was that it really does a nice job of diffusing the co2 for pickup by the filter intake.

great infomation here which will help many people with there problems as well :). Great stuff.
Also thats one awsome piece of wood you got going on there, im jellous as i been searching for a multiple branching bit of wood!
Nice set up, i like it ;)

Antonio

my lfs told me that those wood diffusers will rot in fw, and are designed for us in sw only... is that true?

Back
Top Bottom