Plants beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I would like to get started with some real plants.

I have a few questions though.

1. Is it possible to grow plants with gravel substrate? If so what else do I need? What types of plants?

2. What plants can be grown easily with T8 lighting?

3. Other things I need, food, etc?

Thanks!

I have several plants in my tank with gravel. I put in root tabs for the root feeders and dose liquid ferts once a week. Co2 isn't necessary IMO. As for what plants you can grow, I don't know really, I know there Are lots of beginner low light plants, I just don't know the names

Lots and Lots of plants around

Find the names of them from your LFS and then you can us guys about some info and experience we have had with them!

Good Luck :)

Java ferns, most mosses, anubias barteri varieties, and some swords will grow in low light. Anubias nana seems to be a common one. And jungle vals are easy but I think they do better in slightly higher light.

Light will be the driving factor for a planted tank. Your light levels determine what types of plants you can grow and whether or not you need so add ferts and CO2 to the tank.

Give us some more details about your tank (volume, stock, etc.) and light (type and wattage) and we can give you some better answers.

techo said:
Hey guys,

I would like to get started with some real plants.

I have a few questions though.

1. Is it possible to grow plants with gravel substrate? If so what else do I need? What types of plants?

2. What plants can be grown easily with T8 lighting?

3. Other things I need, food, etc?

Thanks!

What size tank ? That will affect what lighting you need. A 10g is easy. A tall tank is a bit trickier.

T8s ? Hardy Low Light Plants. Crypts, Ferns, Anubias.

55 gallon
4 serpae tetra
2 rosy barb
2 neon barb

70 gallon top fin filter
30 gallon aqueous filter

T8 lighting

Planning on adding more fish within three weeks

Want plants I can keep in gravel, little maintenance required, dont really want to upgrade lighting (college student on extreme budget)

Java Ferns are a favorite. Just tie them to Dwiftwood or rocks. Anubias also.
A. coffeefolia is a big one.

There are several types/species of either if you want different.

Is it one T8 bulb or more?

If you've only got one bulb, you're definitely in the low-light range. Stick to java ferns, anubias, some crypts and possibly some vals. Don't expect them to grow very quickly either. The java ferns and the anubias can be planted in gravel, but must be kept very shallow. These plants need to have their rhizome exposed. If it's buried too deeply, the rhizome will rot and the plant will die.

Two bulbs will let you grow a bit more variety and will grow low-light plants more quickly. You could try med-low-light plants with reasonable hope of success.

Back
Top Bottom