Plants clouding water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeverumGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will plants cause water to cloud when you put them in there or can it be because I've been leaving the lights on longer for the plants. It's a white cloudiness.

Plants no, but shifting around your gravel can. If when you planted them, you stirred up gravel residue this is normal, and it should settle overnight, or within a couple hours of filtration.

It could also be a couple other factors, depending on the age and setup in your tank.

How long has your tank been set up? Do you have any other ornamental decorations?

It's been two days now since I put the plants in the tank. It didn't really start getting cloudy until today. The plants started dying so I just removed them a couple hours ago and did a water change and gravel vac. It's still clearer right now, but I didn't know if it had something to do with the plants or the light. The tank's been set up about 3 months now. It's been cycled now for about 3 weeks.

If the plants were dying then you could have started a recycle (kind of ). As plants die, they are broken down and contribute to the ammonia in the tank. Ammonia feeds the nitrogen cycle. You could be seeing a new bacterial bloom.

Is anything else in your tank? fish?

You must constantly feed the bacterial colony. Once cycled, you should continue to add an ammonia source until you add fish, which produce enough waste to keep the colony happy.

If you tank has been empty, you need to feed the tank with a nitrogen source to keep the bacterial colony happy and alive. You can add some fish flakes to do this.

White cloudiness usually indicates a bacterial bloom. As kaiofcanada mentioned a constant supply of ammonia is required to keep the bacteria moving.

Oh yeah, I have fish in the tank. There's been fish in there since the day I set it up. I actually have less now then the first two weeks I had it set up. None of the fish died, I just found new homes for them, and I still have about 7 fish that I am still going to rehome.

No, everything else has been in the tank. Those were the first live plants I've ever tried. I first noticed this morning that the water was a little cloudy looking. I left the light on all day for the past two days turning them off at night. When I got home this evening the water was really cloudy. I normally only leave the light on when I'm home. I have an LED strip that I'll turn on to give them some light, but it's not strong enough to support algae. I took the somewhat living plants out, did a water change and gravel vac, and now it's a lot better. That was about 4 hours ago and it's still doing okay. It could cloud back up tonight, so I'll have to wait and see. I'm going to do another water change tomorrow (maybe tonight) just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom