Plants died in my tank and i dont know why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

I have a 10g planted tank and it was great one week and the next week all my plants died, paremeters look fine and my fish are doing fine as well! I though it was algae so i turned off the lights but it didnt help, turned them back on but nothing! I use fertilizer in the soil, excel and flourish.

Attachments

• IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 150
Sometimes there can be too much ferts. How many tabs did you used in the soil?

What is the kind of light you have?

How long was the substrate growing before you added root tabs and how long after the root tabs did it start to die?

Sometimes there can be too much ferts. How many tabs did you used in the soil?

What is the kind of light you have?

How long was the substrate growing before you added root tabs and how long after the root tabs did it start to die?

This is the first real 'Aqua Scape' i have tried so im so glad your asking me all this, i would have never guessed.

I put 4 tabs in around the bottom sides before i put the water in, placed the seeds and let them grow. After about 2 weeks they were looking great, then out of nowhere starting dieng off from left to right.

For lights i use finnex, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GH9HS80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What species of plant are these seeds? I have seen numerous accounts of folks using "magic" seeds with not so positive results.
I've only been able to grow water hyacinth outdoors.

Last edited:
I'm still skeptical because there is no way to verify that they actually Glosso seeds. The reviews appear to be short term; more interested in how they do after several months.

Hello!

I have a 10g planted tank and it was great one week and the next week all my plants died, paremeters look fine and my fish are doing fine as well! I though it was algae so i turned off the lights but it didnt help, turned them back on but nothing! I use fertilizer in the soil, excel and flourish.

Hello Co...

If you start with easy to grow plants like Anubias, Sword plants, Onion, Bananas and Java fern, you'll be better off. These are low light plants and will grow in most tank conditions. They don't require fertilizers other than what the fish provide. Lighting isn't as important for these as it is for most aquarium plants.

Lighting that comes with the tank is for seeing into the tank and not for growing plants.

B

This is a medium difficulty plant to grow. Getting them to germinate is the easy part.

It seems that there are too many in the substrate maybe competing for nutrients and after the see nutrition is used up there is decline. Leaves of one overshadowing the others, a possibility.

Did you notice where you inserted the root tabs, did you see better growth or die off? Or could you know/remember where you put the tabs?

My first thoughts (although not based on any real science) is that seeds don’t generally do well whilst placed underwater. How does a seed know that it is underwater? Does it need to or can it make necessary adaptations to prepare for life underwater as a mature plant?

Would it exit the seed in its terrestrial form only to have to then make adaptations to being underwater (reduction of boundary layer thickness, leaf shape alterations etc).

If this is the case it may explain why most seeds planted this way fail until the new growth begins to come through. The decomposition that ensues due to the rejection of emersed leaves can promote algae with intense lighting and lower oxygen levels. This is all hypothesis of course but it’s enough to put my off seed planting unless using the dry start method.

The new (slightly paler) leaf on the Anubis looks promising and it may well be that this plant was grown emersed prior to purchase.

Always focus on new growth and change water more frequently after planting new plants. You can begin to remove or trim the dying leaves immediately as they are currently contributing to the conditions that favour algae whilst hindering plant growth and the systems beneficial microorganisms.

So I have cleaned out the mess on the bottom of the tank and started to regrow some seeds outside of the water in a humid ziplock bag, in the mean time though the plants have again sprouted out of the substrate, so we shall see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom