Plants doing well, but so is the algae. How to fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suprdave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sand bottom 36 gallon bowfront with dual 24", 37 watts total full-spectrum bulbs.

I am growing several different lowlight plants that have been doing great for quite some time. (I can't recall their names. I can provide pics if this information is important for identification). However so is the green algae growing on my glass.

Any tips on how to keep my plants healthy while keeping the algae at bay?

If any sunlight is reaching my tank, it is very minimal. The lights are on a timer that turn them on at 7am and off at 10pm, so 15 hours of light a day.

Really? If I only gave my fish 8 hours of light a day they'd be in the dark most of the time.....

That seems kind of strange. Is 8 hours really a normal amount of time to have an aquarium light on?

Yes, most pepole will only have lights on for 8 or so hours a day. It seems crazy, but that is all the light that is needed to keep the plants and fish happy.

Some people like myself split the 8 hours into halves so the lights are on when I'm around my aquariums the most.

Floating plants do help a lot. I have heard nothing but good comments on a split light cycle. It keeps down algae, and you can set it so the lights are on while you are home.

Back
Top Bottom