Plants dying!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umramgirl86

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a 20G tank about a month ago and I went planted this time. I don't have many plants yet, but am adding as I go. I noticed that some of my plants are dying. Why is this? What can I do? Do I need to cut off the dead parts?

Here are some pictures to help explain...

Attachments

• image-3475482291.jpg
    image-3475482291.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1059123450.jpg
    image-1059123450.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image-4034748878.jpg
    image-4034748878.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 68
Don't worry, you are doing fine! I am a gardener and my motto is always give up on ugly plants and move on!

Trim plants heavily, ugly leaves never improve. As soon as you prune the plant wakes up and sends out new growth so make it a habit to attack dead and rotting plants daily!

The exceptions are young plants, they go through shock when you plant them so give them a few weeks to get settled, then prune lightly.

People will recommend fertilizers up the wazoo. Great. I use them too, but I learned how to garden by observing what thrives on my deck in my climate and what struggles, and planting accordingly.

In my aquarium I bought a round of plants and half took off, half just lived, and dwarf hair grass looked crappy. I pulled it out and put it in the graveyard, which is a cup of water on the window sill. My regular garden plants get sent to the graveyard as soon as they are done blooming or if they are the least awesome growers. Some survive, some die out. I never cry about it.

Let the plants decide if they want to live, thrive or die, remove your attachments to the outcome. Gardening is a joy!

Your Plants

Hello um...

Some aquatic plants are very sensative to changes in their environment. Some take weeks to recover. Sadly, some never do. Sometimes pet stores will sell plants that don't belong in an aquarium.

I always check to make sure I have the right lighting for the plants, I rinse them carefully, I plant them according to instructions and then I use a diluted liquid fertilizer a couple of times a week. A well stocked tank is very important to plants too. Well nourished fish are important to good aquarium plant growth.

Plants require pure water conditions. I change half the water in the tank every week and routinely service the filtration equipment, so the water chemistry is always stable.

Patience is helpful too. If you find the plants you have aren't working, then review what you have. Maybe you need something less demanding until you get a better understanding of plants in general.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

The thin, grass type plant looks to be Mondo Grass, which is often sold as a decorative plant for freshwater aquaria, but because it is not a true aquatic plant, it may live for a few months and then die. Like mine did :p

The thin, grass type plant looks to be Mondo Grass, which is often sold as a decorative plant for freshwater aquatic plant[/URL], it may live for a few months and then die. Like mine did :p

That's what I was afraid of. Not 100% on the other plant either.

aqua_chem said:
Any idea what kind of plants those are? They might not be aquatic,

I have no idea. I got them at PetSmart (bad, I know, but it is my only option unless I order online)

Back
Top Bottom