plants dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
glandulosa dying its turning brown and Dwarf Hairgrass its turning yellow

seem to me to much light

also everything was fine until i added the potassium sulfate. I saw the glandulosa not growing and the leafs turning a little brown. so i added photassium. Then everything went wrong.

i have some ideas, but i cant tell which one is the right one.

seem to me to much light
or to mush of a big parameter change, (no potassium for months)then some.
or (from they apparent algea) i have to low phosphate compare to nitrate
to low co2 compare to nitrate
or the plants dont like me.

aquarium spect
2x 39 watts t5
aquarium size 18 height, 38 long, 12 deep
light is 6,5 inch from water.
co2 off at night
no fish

iron .1 = 1 taplespoon 22 dec
nitrate 40 ppm.
phosphate trace = 1 teaspoon 23 dec
potassium sulfate = 2gram the 10 and 20 dec
gh = 140
calcium 15 to 20 ppm

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 100_1045.jpg
    100_1045.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 119
Not due to lack of light, I know that for sure....Is there alittle bit of algae on the DHG?

Actually, it is probably lack of light. With a 18 inch deep tank and adding another 6.5 inches of height above the water that's putting you at medium light at most with a dual t5ho light.

What is your exact dosing routine? How often do you dose the ferts?

I find it unlikely that java fern would have an issue with light at these levels, or even half thereof.

What exactly is your weekly dosing schedule?

I find it unlikely that java fern would have an issue with light at these levels, or even half thereof.

Java fern? I thought the problem plants were grandulosa and dwarf hair grass.

Your right, Its java fern. Grandulosa is a other plant i have. I don't care about grandulosa. My java fern is close from the surface, or mid range.
The dwarf hairgrass is lower, the one that's doing well are in the shade. So that's why I concluded to much light.

I don't have I weekly dosing. To many problems. I add according to what my plants needs. And if I have algae. That way I do little water change. Right now. I have to high nitrate. So when I figure out what going on, I will do water change.

Basically. I go for
10 ppm potassium nitrate
120 GH to get this I have to add magnesium.
15 calcium
0.1 iron
Some Phosphate
2g potassium sulphate

The post mentioned glandulosa and DHG, but the pictures were neither of those species, instead java fern windelov and some wide leaf grass (sag or lilaeopsis, I can't really tell). I was going off the pictures more than anything,

Regarding the problem, how are you dosing iron? Plants growing yellow indicate a micronutrient issue, such as iron or a less prominent element. Melting leaves can indicate a macronutrient issue, although sussing out which can be very difficult in some species of plant.

You really should have a consistent day to day dosing strategy, as trying to balance everything on the fly really isn't a practical or efficient way to go about things. EI and PPS pro are both thoroughly tested and work with similar efficacy.

Every day Dosing it like having a pet. You have to be there all the time. Its not efficient. And water change every month or 2 months its more appropriated for me. That s why I don't have fish
i did the pps pro in my old time, unfortunately it did not go well, i ready for a other try...i guess.

so mush deaf in my aquarium, hope it will return

I bag do differ, 39 watts is alot for that....whats the amount of kalvins on it? I had DHG in a 25 which is very deep with a very poor lighting set up

Dwarf hair grass is a low-moderate light plant so they would be fine, unless you have old bulbs that have lost their heat lighting affects. (around a year is when this starts to go)

Oohh thats embarrassing I didnt see the "must be to much light" :S sorry....But I dont think a plant could brown due to that

Dwarf hair grass is absolutely a high light plant. I had some for 2 months in my medium lighted tank and it didn't grow at all.

Par rating is what's important over a tank rather than watts per gallon. The par rating decreases more the farther from the fixture you go and hanging the lights 6 inches off of the water is losing a ton of par rating.

Then why its reacting better under shade. Is it because its not being affected by algae incapable of growing on it with out direct light.

Or, less fertilizer is needed under the shade compare to the rest. So its not suffering the lack of fertilizer.

Wow, seams that i might of answer my own question.

Dwarf hair grass is absolutely a high light plant. I had some for 2 months in my medium lighted tank and it didn't grow at all.

Par rating is what's important over a tank rather than watts per gallon. The par rating decreases more the farther from the fixture you go and hanging the lights 6 inches off of the water is losing a ton of par rating.

Its doing exactly like if its having to much light. Growing but not tall. They tall one are in the shadow. Having algae on it. Some turning yellow from use up fertilizer to fast. But I am giving already less distance from the water surface then what's its ask for.

I do have a lot of windows. Nothing direct. 14 feat from one of them.

Toxicity of CSM+B seam possible also. but now i did a water change and restarted a pps-pro regime. 2ml every day. hope my grass survive. what i am sure, is to mush sulfur(brown algea. Got to find other source of magnesium and potassium.

Toxicity of CSM+B seam possible also. but now i did a water change and restarted a pps-pro regime. 2ml every day. hope my grass survive. what i am sure, is to mush sulfur(brown algea. Got to find other source of magnesium and potassium.

The brown algae is diatoms which feeds off of excess silicates in the water rather than sulfur. They are self limiting and usually go away on their own.

Back
Top Bottom