Plants dying already!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottlyons

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently decided to add some live plants to my established tank. After two days it looks like they are dying already. I have 3 clown loaches, 5 rainbows, 1 rope fish, 3 glass cats, 3 boatias and 5 tetras in 55 gallon tank. Any suggestions as to why these plants are struggling?

Plants go through an acclimatization period when first introduced into a new tank. The old leaves can wilt/melt and die back before new growth comes in.

What plants to you have? What's your lighting and what ferts are you using?

Your Plant Question

Hello Scott...

I have large, planted tanks and can tell you that three things are necessary for a successful, planted tank.

The plant must have the proper lighting. So, do your homework and give it or them the right lighting.

You need to have a lot of fish in the tank or dose a commercial fert in dry, liquid or granules. Just dose according to instructions.

You need to maintain stable water conditions. You do that by replacing a minimum of half the tank water every 6 to 7 days.

IMO, without all three, you don't give your plants the best chance for survival.

B

What's your lighting? How deep is the tank? Dose any ferts/liquid supplements? What kind of plants? Usually they'll die a bit when you add new ones to the tank.

2 30watt t8 lights, I'm using flourish, also cave flourish excel but have not used it yet. To be honest I can't remember the exact plant names, rookie move, but according to the store they are they heartiest plants they had. My water conditions are solid, I change my water every 7-10 days. Thanks guys

Scottlyons said:
2 30watt t8 lights, I'm using flourish, also cave flourish excel but have not used it yet. To be honest I can't remember the exact plant names, rookie move, but according to the store they are they heartiest plants they had. My water conditions are solid, I change my water every 7-10 days. Thanks guys

If you post pics I'm sure someone will be able to ID them for you. :)

There are the pics

Attachments

• image-3152536264.jpg
    image-3152536264.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1547282282.jpg
    image-1547282282.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 70
Scottlyons said:
There are the pics

The first is a sword maybe. The second is a java fern. They like to be attached to something and not in the substrate. If you put it in the substrate make sure the rhizome (google that) stays above the substrate because it can rot.

First-if it is a sword-looks like a broad leaf chain sword, though I am no plant expert. Would really appreicate root tabs to go along with it.

Second is java fern. I believe it does that brown blochy hole behavior if it has
a) too much light, which I don't think is the case, or
b) rhizome planted under.

Usually it looks like that in store so it will take a bit for it to perk up

Today I found a great chart for plant issues

Plant Health Guide

Right now I have white spots just on the leaves, which apparently is a lack of CO2, good thing I'm starting my DIY CO2 this week :)

BBradbury said:
You need to have a lot of fish in the tank

B

This could not be further from the truth if you tried I have grown up round planted aquascapes all my life, I now have 11 years experience of it and I can tell you now the best planted tanks I have ever seen have only a few fish in, 2 types of planted tank keepers some people have plants as the decor and fish as the main centerpiece, others have fish as the decor and plants as the main centerpiece

richpowell1989 said:
This could not be further from the truth if you tried I have grown up round planted aquascapes all my life, I now have 11 years experience of it and I can tell you now the best planted tanks I have ever seen have only a few fish in, 2 types of planted tank keepers some people have plants as the decor and fish as the main centerpiece, others have fish as the decor and plants as the main centerpiece

I think he meant if he doesn't dose ferts of any kind or root tabs then fish are needed to give the plants nutrients
Either or both

Back
Top Bottom