Plants for 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am thinking of upgrading from my 10 gallon to a 75 gallon. I was wondering if this setup will work:

Background: Jungle Vallisneria + Wisteria

Mid-ground: Cryptocoryne Wendtii + Driftwood and Anubias Nana

Foreground: Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata

If so, How many of each? The tank will be 48" x 18" x 21". Thank You! :thanks:

It just depends on how heavily you want to plant the tank. Val's are usually sold as a bunch plant with generally 15ish stems but it depends on who or where you buy it from. A couple plants of Wisteria will go along way as they grow quite rapidly and get quite large. Personally I like Water Sprite better but either is fine. I forgot how Dwarf Sag is sold but it spreads via runners so get as few or many as you want. Crypts and Anubia's are sold as individual plants so again get as many as you think you want to start with. These are all pretty low light tolerant plants but remember your lighting determines the type plants you can grow so you need to decide on lighting first IMO. When planting a tank I usually get x amount of plants and then after scaping, adding the rocks, DW, and plants then I place another order to get the rest of what I need.

It just depends on how heavily you want to plant the tank. Val's are usually sold as a bunch plant with generally 15ish stems but it depends on who or where you buy it from. A couple plants of Wisteria will go along way as they grow quite rapidly and get quite large. Personally I like Water Sprite better but either is fine. I forgot how Dwarf Sag is sold but it spreads via runners so get as few or many as you want. Crypts and Anubia's are sold as individual plants so again get as many as you think you want to start with. These are all pretty low light tolerant plants but remember your lighting determines the type plants you can grow so you need to decide on lighting first IMO. When planting a tank I usually get x amount of plants and then after scaping, adding the rocks, DW, and plants then I place another order to get the rest of what I need.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I plan to get a t5 ho fixture that has 108 watts. So, would this setup work/look good?

I think you'd be okay with a 2 bulb t5ho and those plants, they aren't demanding at all. As mentioned you can get as many or as few as you want, so your budget is probably going to be the determining factor.

I agree fine for those plants but if you think you might want different higher light plants in the future you might want to consider a 4 bulb fixture.

Not at all! The bigger the tank the better as far as being more stable and more forgiving if a mistake is made compared to small tanks. The only thing I do suggest with a large tank is to invest in a water changer. I have an Aqueon Water Changer and couldn't live without it. My largest tank is a 220g and it along with the other tanks get a 50% WC weekly.

Not at all! The bigger the tank the better as far as being more stable and more forgiving if a mistake is made compared to small tanks. The only thing I do suggest with a large tank is to invest in a water changer. I have an Aqueon Water Changer and couldn't live without it. My largest tank is a 220g and it along with the other tanks get a 50% WC weekly.

Thank you! What is better, python or aqueon?

I've used the Aqueon brand for a long time now and couldn't be happier. One thing tho is you often read reviews of people saying the plastic adapter breaks.... well when you put it on all you have to do is screw it on till tension starts. You don't and shouldn't "tighten" it or you will run into problems. Just be sure to order the right size hose you need. I have the 50 foot one so it can reach any tank.

I've used the Aqueon brand for a long time now and couldn't be happier. One thing tho is you often read reviews of people saying the plastic adapter breaks.... well when you put it on all you have to do is screw it on till tension starts. You don't and shouldn't "tighten" it or you will run into problems. Just be sure to order the right size hose you need. I have the 50 foot one so it can reach any tank.

I never had that problem with it breaking. Mine was perfect. I used it once a week for 2 years on my tank!

Mine gets used several times a week and is going strong. I've never had a breakage problem with the plastic either but I can see people breaking it if they tried to tighten it on good. I've got mine going right now on the 220g.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom