Plants for a 5 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to start a 5 Gallon Tank (Thread in the showcase forum), and I would like some suggestions as to good plants for a 5 Gallon Tank. Currently I'm going with the obvious, a Java fern, an Anubias, and some Java moss. What other types of Plants would be good? I have a 40 Watt Table light that I will be using, and a Dirt-planted Substrate.

well do you want tall stringy plants or plants with big leaves or what? is the bulb a florescent or compact florescent or incondesent?

what type of fish will be in the tank?

is there much water movement?
do you want it heavily planted?
are you considering floating plants?

I have an 8g planted and other planted tanks so lighting, fish, water movement, all play a part in selection

I would suggest going onto liveaquaria.com and looking around their plant section

I have no personal preferance for the type of plants, so long as they look nice. I will have a small amount of Water movement from a small filter, and its likely going to be a Betta + shrimp.

Ziggs180 said:
I have no personal preferance for the type of plants, so long as they look nice. I will have a small amount of Water movement from a small filter, and its likely going to be a Betta + shrimp.

Take a look at other tanks of similar size to see what plants were used. To make the tank look bigger, i would use small anubias like anubias petite. For vals, italian vals would work because they are thin- for example, jungle vals would get too big. You can also try various crypts.
You have so many options, it doesn't make sense for me to give you a whole list of plants. Pay attention to leaf size, leaf shape, leaf color. Plants with fine leaves would look nice and delicate in that size tank. Plants with broad leaves may risk becoming a focal point if it stands out too much.

How demanding is Italian Val? I had corkscrew in my tank, and they died after a few months and never regrew. I wont be having much dirt in my tank, since it will be underneath a small gravel-section with the rest being just sand. Could i plant the italian val in the sand, or do i need some root tabs.

Ziggs180 said:
How demanding is Italian Val? I had corkscrew in my tank, and they died after a few months and never regrew. I wont be having much dirt in my tank, since it will be underneath a small gravel-section with the rest being just sand. Could i plant the italian val in the sand, or do i need some root tabs.

For me they are literally zero-demanding. They are root feeders, so if your substrate doesnt have anything to nourish them, use root tabs. I've only had to use root tabs for sand because all my other substrates have detritus deep down or are eco-complete.

You may want to cut down the wattage. If you add too much light and no CO2 you'll just grow an Algae Farm !!! :(

I use a 10w CFL on my 5g. You could use a 15w 6500K CFL and grow plenty of healthy plants.

Try Crypts :)
C ballinsae is a nice tall thin plant for corners or back.
C. lucens is a lovely green
C wendtii is very easy and has many varieties.

I use Osmocote Plus root caps as they are root feeders.

You can see my jungle on my profile pics.

I actually have Cryptocoryne wenditti in my main tank, and its one of my most successful plants. If I see they have some at a LFS i'm going to on Friday, I'm going to pick it up. Thing about lighting is, I'm trying to cut some corners, so i'd rather not invest in the most expensive lighting, and I've seen people use Table lamps on other threads before with no problems.

I might add floating Anacharis to combat algae and offer some shade, then take it out later when the plants have become established.

Ziggs180 said:
I actually have Cryptocoryne wenditti in my main tank, and its one of my most successful plants. If I see they have some at a LFS i'm going to on Friday, I'm going to pick it up. Thing about lighting is, I'm trying to cut some corners, so i'd rather not invest in the most expensive lighting, and I've seen people use Table lamps on other threads before with no problems.

I might add floating Anacharis to combat algae and offer some shade, then take it out later when the plants have become established.

You can buy "warm daylight" 6500K Compact Fluorescents for your lamp at a hardware store. They ARE cheap !!

You can buy plants here or on The Planted Tank for great prices. Much more selection and usually healthier. You can ask for no snails or algae if you are picky. I don't worry, all the plants I've bought have been great !

I've bought plants online before, and it wasn't a problem. that was until I learned about a LFS Store that sells a huge assortment of plants, so I don't have to pay Shipping, and just drive to get them.

Back
Top Bottom