Plants for BGK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
:confused: I have one single Black Ghost Knifefish and I was wondering if it would be okay to plant low light plants only, since he is a noctournal fish and HATES light. Right now he is in a 20G tank where I am struggling to get the ammonia down because I did not do a fishless cycle :(. (I was told that if I used Hornwort, it would help being the levels down, true?) I am going to be starting a fishless cycle on his new tank today (which is 60G) and I just read that crypt plants could be planted in the low light (for the 60G). I hardly EVER turn his overhead lights on, (the only reason I am doing it now is to try and grow algae to help with the ammonia, was told that too), and usually just let sunlight in during the day. Where can I buy crypt plants or any other low light plants, and whatever needs to be bought to maintain them? The pet store I bought the fish from only had 2 different kinds of plants, (I bought them), and they seem to be doing fine for now and haven't had any part of them die in a week. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! :ninja:

if you have a place for him to hide. if you already have the 60 its best if you moved the filter and the fish over now. with more water volume it will be a little easier to control the ammonia build up. 60 gallon is a good step for now but will need bigger.

Aquariumplants.com is a good website for getting supplies and plants. I would do what mgamer said. But eventually it will need to go in atleast a 100g. Good job on doing a planted tankt hough and keeping your fish in mind.

Is your 20g cycled or not though?

Turns out it is a 75 gallon tank! JACKPOT! I will check out aquaruimplants.com. I also talked to a fish guy today and he said the Dr's website sold plants and he has always had good luck with them, (i.e NOT dead and they have a 14 day guarantee) I am moving the fish to the 75 tonight as soon as it gets to 78 deg. (Using the bag method) The 20G is not cycled yet, but when it is, I am going to get some guppies. I am so excited! Thought about getting some Betta's but they looked pretty funky...Looked like the males gills were falling out. Is that normal? Thanks a ton fr all your guys and gals help!

Thought about getting some Betta's but they looked pretty funky...Looked like the males gills were falling out. Is that normal?

Ummm, i don't think that is ever normal. :tgv:

Any picks of the BGK?

There are a few pics on my aquarium pic page. I will try to take more tonight when he is going bonkers in his new tank!

Did you already fishless cycle that tank... Did you test the parameters? Make sure to have some tubes or drift wood for them to hide in. It sounds like you are trying to do more of a natural look/habitat so drift wood would be the way to go. Also if you want to view the GK then a cylindrical clear tube is always fun. They feel comfortable yet you can still view them. A darker background may help also.

Cherry barbs are pretty peaceful fish to house with them that have great color(red) they are a fish to keep in numbers as well. I have gourami and clown loaches along with one angel and cherry barbs in with mine.

The 70G tank is cycled for the most part, the only reading I am getting is 5.0 nitrAte. I bought him a new mountain "castle", sanded and soaked it, also picked up some more plants (real and fake), I already had a fake log and a fake cave that matches his "castle", and already had a clear tube. He has all sorts of places to hide now, and much more space to zip around in! I also got a pure black background for the tank, (I know, not very exciting, but the tank is for his happiness) I can't believe how much of a different fish he is now! SOO much happier! He doesn't care about the lights at all now, unless they are too bright! I used to take the towel off his small tank and see if he was alright and he would hide and poke his face out once in a while. Now I could probably pet him lol! He comes soo close to my hand when I am feeding him. I wish I could have taken a video of him last night/morning when he was swimming around like a crazy man! Here I was, 6 AM, laughing my butt off at him! Back and forth, sideways, up and down and checking EVERYTHING out. He was trying to dig up the bulbs I planted though, so I think I might take them out and out them in the 20G for the guppies, (or I might get some dwarf fish and a little loach I saw) I think I will just keep him by himself so I am not struggling at all with extra fish waste and putting him thru more stress than I already have. Thank you for the suggestions though! I am pretty sure I will end up getting a betta too, I still have room in the bedroom HAHAHA! I have definitley picked up a new addiction, LOL!

That will help, since he is gonna grow up around you he will get warmed up too you quite a bit and you will be able to do amazing things with him.

Back
Top Bottom