plants for cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Java moss or christmas moss is the best way to go. If tied nicely, it will surround the rocks with a nice green growth. I would put it on large rocks rather than small ones...easier to control.

Placing Java ferns or anubias behind the rocks is also a good idea.

I moved the thread to Planted tanks since most planted tanks contain a cichlid or two. :)

alright well let me know what i can keep i was just thinking java moss on the rocks to give it more life.

I'm not so sure that any plants can be used in an African tank. I know some have had success, but I would think it's the exception rather than the rule.

Most Africans like moving rocks and substrate around...hence the reason plants don't do well.

alright i guess ill just stick to the amazon theme with tetras and platies by the way what type of plants do you have that you told me about.

what kind of light do you have? i have a planted african tank but u have to plant carefully. and the type of plants are important. i experiment with plants to see what they find tasty. they dont like amazon swords. they dont like giant hygro. most big leaf plants they wont eat becasue they are to coarse for them to chew. i also tried a fast growing stem plant and they nibbled at it but it grew fairly quickly so you dont really notice that they are eating it. i have yellow labs and peacocks and they dont seem that interested in the plants. i also have cobalts in there but they also dont seem to bother to much. if u take your time and dont mind uprootings every once in a while then a planted african tank can look amazing. just look at travis simonson's tanks for an amazing example of what can be done with africans.

well u can upgrade to 2 wpg before having to worry about co2. but that is the max. in 2 wpg u can grow most stem plants(not red ones) and sowrds and stuff. look on plat sites for ideas. most plant sites will have a their plants split up into sections like foreground/backround, high/low light so u can choose what is good for your set up. i have 80 watts over my 55 which gives me about 1.5 wpg. not very much but my stuff seems to grow. how big is your tank? i live in ontario to and would be willing to send u some plants for the cost of shipping. not right now though lol in a few weeks casue my plants need to recover from a small algea problem i had(forgot to replace my co2!!!) if u can afford it go with co2 and high light then your options will be limitless. did u look at travis's tank? i sat for like an hour staring at the pictures lol i was floored by it.

yah his tank is awsome but it will take me a while to get to 2 wpg since i dont have that much money and am saving for a 70 gallon for more cichlids my tank right now is a 32.but i also have a 10 gal planted that i can keep the plants in till i upgrade the lighting in my other tank.

i keep vallis and java ferns successfully,
a friend also keeps hornwort.
most malawis like to hide in the vallis in their natural environment, especially the predators. They are really more interested in picking the algae off rocks then eating plants.
You will notice their teeth and mouths in general are shaped to be able to do this.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom