Plants for new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokkzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I recently bought a 40g and am looking to put some Christmas moss in there. I like the way it looks and was gonna attach it to this ornament I have to grow on. Will it grow well with just a fluorescent light that comes with most hoods or do I NEED a Better light?

Also, I've heard that some plants absorb? Eat? nitrates. Is this true and which plants are they? And can I get away with them being in normal light, 12 hrs a day?

All plants consume nitrates. Some, more than others. Mosses typically don't. Your fast growing stem plants like anacharis are the ones that I like to call 'nitrate sponges'. There are also several 'floaters' like duckweed that soak up nitrates (but, duckweed is a pain to remove and covers the entire surface if you keep the nitrates up). With your lighting, I don't think you'd have a problem. Java moss would be a better option IMO, as it can live with barely any light. 12 hours is a pretty long photoperiod. I'd stick to about 8.

Back
Top Bottom