Plants for surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some plants on the surface of my tank because I'm planning on getting an african butterfly fish. I would either like a plant that floats on the top or I can attach to my driftwood that reaches the surface of the water. I have no experience with live plants, so beginner plants would be preferable. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Floating Plants

I need some plants on the surface of my tank because I'm planning on getting an african butterfly fish. I would either like a plant that floats on the top or I can attach to my driftwood that reaches the surface of the water. I have no experience with live plants, so beginner plants would be preferable. Thanks in advance!

Hello Frog...

Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort are all good floating plants.

B

Hello Frog...

B

B loves those plants! I like anarchis too.. if you keep it healthy than it screams bright green! Like a teenage mutant ninja turtle green!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can try some frogbit. I'd stay away from duckweed though.

Hello Frog...

B

B loves those plants! I like anarchis too.. if you keep it healthy than it screams bright green! Like a teenage mutant ninja turtle green!

Ok thanks for all your help! I appreciate it!

Floating Plants

Hello Brook...

There are good reasons for suggesting those particular plants. Hornwort is the fastest nitrate user I've found, so nitrates stay low naturally. Anacharis is also a fast nitrate user. Takes them in about as fast as they become available and also gives off a natural chemical that algae doesn't tolerate, so algae is pretty much a rare thing in any of my planted tanks. And Pennywort, is about the only light green plant that doesn't require strong lighting, so it grows well in my low light tanks. Yep. There are reasons for about everything I recommend on this forum.

Later,

B

My African butterfly likes to hang around my frogbit and hornwort. Anacharis is pretty good too.

Sent with my fingers

I really like the Red Root Floater I have. You might want to consider this plant. If you have good lighting, it should eventually develop red roots.

Back
Top Bottom