plants gourami won't eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennMc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 20 gallon aquarium, with a red flame and a blue powder gourami as well as some guppies and ghost shrimp. The blue dwarf gourami really likes picking the plant leaves off some of the plants, the leaves then decay or go plug up the filter intake. I pulled out the plants he was destroying (what was left of them) and want to replant with something less tempting. Looking for suggestions for plants.

Thank you!

greetings.

the anubias species of plants is suposed to be safe from plant eaters, as the leaves are tough, but they are also slow-growing and this can lead to algae growth on them if you are unlucky. i know that some anubias does well in poor light conditions too, for example Anubias barteri varient "nana"

sincerely,
nereksnad.

Besides anubia's, usually java fern and java moss are left alone by plant eaters. Unfortunely you don't have a big choice.

Thank you, I will look for those types, bigger thicker leaves seem to be a good idea, so I can have some plants undamaged in there.

I do wonder if it is good for his "mental health" to have something to do, other than bug the other gourami....

I have planted fancy goldfish tanks and always add plants that they like to eat so they leave others alone. Water sprite is a good one to grow for nibblers. It grows fast and since it's so lacey you don't tend to notice the nibblings so much. My angels like to nibble on a couple plants in the tank but I don't mind, I know it's good for them and gives them something to do.

Thanks, I am going to go plant shopping tomorrow and now have a list of potential plants to look for, hopefully I can find them at our local stores (the selection isn't great here)!

Back
Top Bottom