Plants in an 80g with t8 Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 80 gallon aquarium came with finished hood and 2 bulbs t8 lighting.. they are about 50 wat 25 wat per bulb 1 pink and 1 white my aquarium is 100x70x44 can i host some plants or no? i always wanted to host some plants

this is my tank with the lights on

img_2929857_0_06f783461ccd3d94311edbcf333a5796.jpg

and this is the 2 bulbs i have

img_2929857_1_dcb501bd0a632fb8bf782f6c2d121b4f.jpg

i really need some help the thing that im scared of is that my aquarium height that if i want some easy plants it would be good?

t8 lighting is not phenominal, especially for how deep your tank is. However, you will certainly be able have at least a few live plants. :) Somebody who has more experience will probably chime in as well, but I can tell you from my experience that with a similarly tall tank, I had no issue with low light plants like Amazon swords, Java ferns, and Java moss. I suggest sticking to low maintenance, low light plants, and you will definitely have a couple of options.

So i will be able to have some easy plants with those lights i have right now?

So i will be able to have some easy plants with those lights i have right now?
Yes. Look into the ones I suggested and see if any those are available around you. A few other options are hornwort and water sprite. I have grown both of those in near non-existent lighting without much trouble before as well.

Im just worried about the height of the aqua that the light wont work with that height

Im just worried about the height of the aqua that the light wont work with that height

That is a valid concern, but that is why we are suggesting plants that will cope. To put this in perspective, I put some Java moss in a bag in my bedroom (with a little bit of water), and I forgot about it for over a month and it stayed alive. I have had Java ferns stay alive and grow when I didn't even have a light on the tank. Just ambient room lighting. So, you do have some options. they are limited options, because a stronger light would be better for your tank height if you want more variety, but I think it will be fine with a few of the basic options that we have given you. I had a similarly tall tank with a single t8 on it, and I got all things to grow without any trouble. You will definitely be limited to low light plants, and you might have to do some testing around with a few kinds to see what will work for you, but the options we gave you are specifically low light, easy maintenance plants. If you are too concerned, then just get some silk plants. There are some fairly realistic ones available.

Interesting :eek:..so i can have all easy low light plants i want or just the plants u listed ?

Well, start with the ones I listed. Other people might jump on and give you more suggestions. Since your lighting is not excellent, I would make sure to do a little research on any species before picking it up. Sometimes plants listed as "low light" need the higher end of "low light." The ones I listed are simply the ones I had had success with (my tanks are all low light and no CO2 or anything like that, all low maintenance) and I think could work for you.
Feel free to check out more low light plants and run them by us to see what people think if you would like a second opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom