Plants in candle holders filled with gravel? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starálfur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Courtesy of a member on another forum, I really like this idea! Photo here: http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...x/000_0149.jpg

I was thinking for a 10 gallon divided for 3 bettas, having a little candle holder with colored gravel that matches each fish's color in their respective divided sections might be cool. I'm also planning on keeping the tank bare-bottom, going to cycle it with bio-spira. I have flourescent lighting.

Questions:
1. Would they be fine without any supplement nutrients?
2. Would I have to get rid of the carbon in my penguin bio-wheel carbon filters?
3. Would 3 little java ferns or similar (what else would work?) actually bring benefits to the tank? Someone told me that the extra space the candle holder + gravel takes up would mean less water in the tank and therefore it cancels out the benefits. Thoughts?
4. Would one or two little candle holder plants be beneficial to my 5 gallon bare bottom hex, same question as #3. I'm also planning on cycling it when I get the bio-spira - I don't think it's currently cycled atm. Somebody also told me I might not even be able to cycle a bare bottom 5 gallon hex... it's an aqua tech with a bio wheel though..also uses flourescent lighting.
5. If this turns out to be a good idea, do they sell little mini packs of colored gravel anywhere, since I would like just a bit of different colors? hehe.

Thanks for any help!!

1) Fish don't need nutrients, just food. You should be all set.
2) No, carbon is fine if you wish to run it.
3) The amount of water in the tank isn't really that relevant. Adding live plants does provide some benefit, as the plants will consume the products of the nitrogen cycle. Java ferns, java moss, anubas, or any low light plants could work for you.
4) I commented in your other thread about my thoughts on your cycle in the 5g hex. Live plants can be beneficial, and definately cannot hurt.
5) I've seen 5lb bags, but that's the smallest I've ever seen.

The Plants Neilan has mentioned above would be fine and no you probably would not need to dose any nutrients for them.

If you don't want to take up the room, you can tie the java ferns and anubias to some driftwood. :) It can look really cool and you wont need the vase at all. :)

But if you do use the vase with a root feeding plant like a crypt (which may outgrow your space but depends on what look you are going for) then just stick a root tab fertilizer into the vase under the plant's roots.

Back
Top Bottom