Plants in gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trex23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm fairly new to this hobby and I have a few questions about plants in my 10 gallon. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393164253.974289.jpgI would like to have a planted tank but my current substrate is gravel. Are there any plants that can grow in gravel? Or would I need to switch out the substrate for something else? Are there any easy to care for plants that can just be tied onto decor? I dont like the plastic plant look. Id also like the benefit of improved water quality. Thank you!

Anubias and java fern are very easy plants that should be attached to decor. I have water sprite and wisteria planted in gravel and they grow like weeds. Use root tabs with gravel.

Its fertilizer... About size of a marble and you just stick them in the gravel near the roots of plants... You have to replace them every 3 months or so. Seachem makes a good one called flourish tabs. You would also need flourish comprehensive ( a liquid fert to feed plants tied to decor)

I'm reading that these tabs can discolor the water. How long does that typically last. Is it safe for the fish or can over fertilizing harm them?

Depending on your lighting you could also plant Crypts (which can handle very low light), most bulb plants, and Swords. You only need to use root tabs on these plants and wisteria. For plants such as Anubia's, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus which are all tied onto rocks or driftwood, you need a liquid or dry ferts as they use nutrients in the water. They do not utilize root tabs unless planted in the substrate which isn't recommended but can be done as long as the rhizome isn't covered with substrate.

I do suggest using a liquid carbon daily. Metricide 14 is the most economical to use.

Root tabs when used properly do not color the water.

Most, if not all, stem plants can be grown in gravel. I have gravel. The rotala rotundifolia istaking over the place! Broad leaf sag and vallisnera are thriving as well.

Back
Top Bottom