Plants in Rock Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have gravel in my 35 G and wanted to do a planted tank with CO2 and 6500K lighting. Will plants grow well in the gravel? From what i've read the growth will not be as great as if it was in sand or a substrate made for plant growth.

I've grown plants in gravel. It's not ideal but it works. You could add sand, which will filter down under the gravel if you want.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Results may indeed vary with chosen substrate! However some plants will still do fine in gravel. I wouldn't go too big tho, because this makes it harder to plant. Can you give a photo and plant list?

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Other than Anubis and Java Fern what are some other types of easy to care for plants that will do well in gravel?

I've managed to grow Amazon Swords in gravel. I did bury a root tab as deep as possible next to them after the survived a year.

Essentially anything you can grow in sand, you can grow in gravel, provided you have sufficient lighting, and dose ferts, and CO2 will definitely help. I found that gravel was actually easier to plant with, and clean.

Most plants actually feed from the water column.

Swords and most stem plants (even though most stem plants can survive for long peiords of time without any substrate at all) are generally root feeders, so as long as you make your substrate rich with nutrients, it shouldn't be a problem.

Generally speaking, any plants you put in your tank can, and will, adapt to it in order to survive, to a certain extent.

Root tabs are your best friend. :)

The issue with gravel is keeping the nutrients near the roots. My plants survived but in my case did not thrive in gravel.

But YMMV. If you want plants, try 'em. I love real plants in my tanks.

I would think as you root tab the area it would be fine. My plants are doing great in gravel.
I think the light was a major player more than anything.
I use liquid ferts and just started excel.
I'm planning on a diy co2 system soon for fun.
Mine seem happy and its good to know some of that fish waste and food getting churned into the stones ( that doesn't get vacuumed up) is being utilized.

The one thing I do wish is I remembered I wanted to use soil sub under the gravel but live and learn

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom