Plants just breaking apart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have anacharis and hornwort in my tank. About two week ago I've noticed that hornwort was breaking in pieces as if someone cut it. However, there is no fish that would do that to the plants. Then I noticed hair algea covering hornwort. Last week I tried to rearrange the plants and saw that anacharis has some brown/black spots on its trunks and brakes at those spots if small bending pressure applied.
Are my plants sick? What do I do?

need a lot more information.
72g tank - what kind of lighting? how much wattage?

I'm guessing no CO2.
Are you adding any fertilizers? Have you tested for nitrate? phosphate?

You have a nutrient imbalance (due to algae forming) and deficiencies (the plants breaking too easily)

Anacharis and hornwort often start to fall apart at the bottom, in the oldest growth. They make a real mess if you don't keep them trimmed. If they are breaking higher up, in the middle of the plant, then see Malkores post again.

Do not rule out the gouramis for plant damage. I have seen them swimming around with a piece of plant in their mouth to be placed in their bubble nest.

Otherwise, I'll also refer you back to Malkore's post requesting more info.

I got 2 dwarf gouramis that had a field day with my anubias.
I've read that anarcharis would die off at the bottom and to trim the tops and replant them. I have done this once so far and it looks great.

TG, I've been waiting months to see a Gourami build a bubble nest, but no luck.
What makes them build one ?

Dave

They need to have some sort of plant (real or fake) that goes all the way to the top of the tank, as they will make that their home base and stay close to the surface with cover and a place to anchor their nest. If they don't have anything at the top of the tank they will not feel comfortable to just go up there in open water and start puffing bubbles around. I have found that many aggression issues with DGs were the result of there being nothing in the upper strata of the tank.

Sorry to get off on a tangent, newhobbist!

72g tank - what kind of lighting? how much wattage?
80W fluoriscent lights. I know it's very little for planted tank, but that's why I picked up reputably undemanding plants.
No CO2
Fertilizer - FloraPride (TetraPlant brand), that has K2O, Fe, and Molybdenum in it.

Water parameters:
pH -7.1
Amonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 9
Phosphate - 0.2 (have to use phosphate removing media since my tap water phosphate level is 1.2).

Do not rule out the gouramis for plant damage. I have seen them swimming around with a piece of plant in their mouth to be placed in their bubble nest.
I've never noticed gouramis doing any damage to the plants.

I've read that anarcharis would die off at the bottom and to trim the tops and replant them. I have done this once so far and it looks great.
My hornwort is breaking apart everywhere, not just at the bottom even though I see new lists trying to grow (they are reddish in color). Anacharis gets yellow, except new stims, but even they get covered in dark dots and begin to yellow and breat eventually.

Back
Top Bottom