Plants keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olegdulin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 25 gallon tank, with 5 adult guppies and a bunch of fry.

When we set it up, we intended it to be a full planted tank. I stocked it with half a dozen cabomba bunches, a couple of vesuvius plants, and 4 moss balls.

At the beginning, for about first 6 weeks, cabombas were overgrowing and I had to clip them. Then, cabombas started wilting away. They become fragile, break apart, leaves are brownish rather than vibrant green like in the beginning. Meanwhile, vesuvius plants are doing great. So are moss balls, two of which have split since then. Oh and algae is now a problem.

We have a fermenting CO2 system which we run 24/7, and at night we pump air. All nitrate and nitrite leves are stable. The lighting is adequate I feel; it is a full spectrum 18" bulb. Only thing I can think of is PH which has become low enough that it doesnt register on the test strips. I bought a jar of a powder that is supposed to bring PH to 7.0.

Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Oleg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you dosing ferts? Plants need food in addition to light. Algae is a good indication that you are lacking nutrition and/or photoperiod may be too long.

In my setup, I do not monitor nor test ph. irrelevant in my opinion to my plants and fish.

Nutrition may be an issue. What do you recommend ?

As for photo period, we run the lights from 10am till 10pm.

I'd recommend either liquid - Seachem or dry ferts such as PPS pro. You need to dose Macs and Mics accordingly. 12 hour photo period is too long. Plants will starve and algae will take over. 6-8 is good to keep algae at bay.

i should add it is a fresh water tank.

Ok, so I need some details as to which fertilizer. I was at the local fish store yesterday and couldnt figure it out. The owner offered me to try Ph level first - working through that. Can you link me to the specific fertilizer you use ?

For some reason I can't paste link with my iphone. Goto greenleafaquariums.com and click the fertilizer link and click on fertilizer pro pack. it's everything you need plus dosing bottles.

Are you doing weekly water changes ?

Check exact name on lightbulb wattage etc

Weekly ferts after PWC

Timer on lights. No more than 6 hrs a day for now.

You can start with liquid ferts at first , dry us cheaper, but a bit more complicated.

You need to plant stem plants separate. Not as a bunch. Separate each stem and plant 1/2-1" apart leaves not quite touching.

Don't gravel vac near plants, if you have gravel

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This really sounds like a lack of light with the cabomba. Are they wilting near the bases or just in general? The cabomba needs fairly robust lighting in my experience while the Vesuvius and moss balls dont need nearly as much. If its a light issue its about exactly what you'd expect to see.

Back
Top Bottom