Plants keep melting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simon_DG

Aquarium Advice Regular
After 3 weeks of my tank now some plants still keep melting even the new growth?
So i have a 66 gallon tank.
Amazonia substrate
Co2 1 bubble per second
2 white led lights 6500K each
Started with rootabs 3 days ago same for fertilazation product.

The java moss whas turning brown i cut it back so the new growth underneath gets light now and most of the brown moss is gone.

IMG_1564.jpg

This plants is doing great all growth it from 3 weeks.

View attachment 1

I planted this one wrong for the first 2 weeks.. i planted it in substrate now i tied it up to stone and wood is getting better i am seeing new growth.

View attachment 1

This one is coming trough to getting new growth but still some melting

View attachment 1

This one is finally doing better still sole browness on leaves

View attachment 1

This one gets every day new runners but the leaves still turn brown after some time. I just reloves most of damaged leaves.

View attachment 1

View attachment 1

This one gets some new leaves but looks terrible even after 3 weeks. New leaves get damaged to?

View attachment 1

This one is doing better after melting

View attachment 1

This one grows alot but the tips die off and looks little bit brown??

View attachment 1

This is is slowly growing. Little bit brown?

View attachment 1

And the rest is doing great i allready had to cut it down every week with lots of runners

View attachment 1

Any idea why some keep melting even on new growth ??

Sorry for my english

Thanks for help

all the pictures you linked after the first all point to a saltwater tank. a few questions first.

are there any livestock in the tank? I see a neon tetra. any others?

what wattage are your lights?

do you have a model number for the lights?

final comment would be its only been 3 weeks and your plants may still not be fully settled in. from what I see your good growth looks nice and healthy so i don't really think its a fertilizer problem at this stage in your tank.

Last edited:
Ow weird that the pics are of a saltwater one lol yes when i get home from work i show all details of the light and yes 4 gourami some neons. Angelfish assasin snails

all the pictures you linked after the first all point to a saltwater tank. A few questions first.

Are there any livestock in the tank? I see a neon tetra. Any others?

What wattage are your lights?

Do you have a model number for the lights?

Final comment would be its only been 3 weeks and your plants may still not be fully settled in. From what i see your good growth looks nice and healthy so i don't really think its a fertilizer problem at this stage in your tank.

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

1 bubble per second on 66 gallon tank = nothing.

My 25 gallon tank is almost at 5 bubble per second (too fast to count).

Crank that CO2 way up. Test pH with no CO2 in water, then test again when CO2 is fully concentrated. It should be a full 1.0 - 1.4 drop from the non-CO2 water to the CO2 water.

Increase your water changes, both amount and size.
Manually remove decaying organics, plants and algae.
Clean filters in old tank water each water change.
Start dosing Metricide14 or Seachem Flourish Excel at the "after water change" rate DIALY.
Start some water column fertilzing, Thrive is fine or you go DIY. Cheaper to do DIY in the long run.

What if your filtration setup like? How it the flow in the tank?

I do 50% water change every week. I have a co2 indicator which turns blue when to little co2 in tank green if perfect and yellow to much. My indicator is green so. This is my filter ist a bio orb 4 filter i believe and the water flow is from the middle left to middle right then comes back to the front and back size right into the filter intake

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

I do 50% water change every week. I have a co2 indicator which turns blue when to little co2 in tank green if perfect and yellow to much. My indicator is green so. This is my filter ist a bio orb 4 filter i believe and the water flow is from the middle left to middle right then comes back to the front and back size right into the filter intake

CO2 indicator is a drop checker. They measure pH. Green would indicate roughly an "ok" amount of CO2, yellow is optimal (1.0 - 1.4 drop in pH).

I think you should look into more flow throughout your tank. How many times does this filter turn over your tank's volume?

DO you dose any fertilizers?

Yes on the picture u can see the product profito thats what i dose as fertilizer. I am not sure on the discription it says when it turns yellow there is to much co2 then. Filter does 171gallon per hour. Aquarium is 66 gallon. Right name for filter is biobox 4

I would suggest grabing a small power head or circulation pump to help with more tank turnover.

How much and how often are you dosing Profito?

Yes, I understand the manufacturer claims green is good, yellow is not too much. Optimal CO2 is a huge step in helping plants and hindering algae. I don't use a drop checker anymore, but mine used to be bright yellow and fish are fine. pH drop method is a more profound way of indicating essential CO2 levels.

I pumped up to 3-4 bubbles per sec plants are doung good all melting has stoped

Back
Top Bottom