plants need light? what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irish.OG87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I bought a buncha plants for me new 36g bow front tank, but after about a week some of them are turning brown and some even has white fluffy stuff on them , are these plants dying on me, and if so...can i do anything to get them healthy?

I think your thread name says it all. What lighting do you have? :p

Okay. Well I'd have to say it depends on your plants then. Some medium and high-light plants are going to require more light than that to survive. Also, it may be that they need fertilizers. What kind of substrate do you have?

As far as I know that'd be fine, but it depends on your plants... what are they? And are you running CO2 (just out of curiousity?)

Ok just a fyi im a new ta the fish live plants shtuff, so CO2? like bubbles in stuff u mean? lol

Do you know what plants you have? And if not, can you post pictures for ID's?

It sounds like you have pretty good lighting...but like said above, some may need more light, more nutrients, and maybe co2 (carbon dioxide).

Ok i got some acorus, kyoto, anubuis, sword, amazon sword and some java fern and also some moneywort too.

For variety I pretty much picked up anything i cud find at the pet store, probably bad judgement on my part if they all need different lighting.

The Acorus and Kyoto are not aquatic plants...so I would expect them to eventually turn brown. I would take them out. Sadly, pet stores sell non-aquatic plants and don't really have them marked accordingly.

You have enough light for the rest of the plants, so they should be doing ok.

Do you know which ones the Anubias and Java fern are? If so, did you bury those in the gravel?

And do you know the names of the ones that are turning brown or is it all?

ok, the kyoto is turning brown with some leaves with white fluffy stuff, kinda looks like mold, the sword plant is turning more yellow on some leaves, and the java fern has one brown leaf.

If you buried the Java fern in the gravel, that could be why its starting to turn brown. You can bury the roots but not the rhizome (hard stem like part). I like to tie mine on small rocks or wood to keep it down.

You may want to add a root tab near the sword plant. They take in alot of nutrients from the gravel and it may not be getting enough from the eco/gravel mix.

Back
Top Bottom