Plants... never kept before

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atucker681

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 55 gallon tank which I've had set up for over a year now I'm getting bored of one of the prices of wood and wanting to plant it, I have no plant keeping experience and was wondering what is easy to keep and maintain for my tank I'll see if I have a photo of it as I'm currently away from my house any tips or ideas of what may look good would be brilliant .
IMG_0054.JPGimage is old but looks similar to this bar the ornament in the back corner has changed

Well there are a few plants you could tie to the driftwood for starters.. You could also try to tie/glue moss to it.

Most notable easy beginner plants (which you can tie on wood) are anubias and java ferns, since they don't like their rhizomes (a type of root) buried. They come in many varieties and shapes. You could look them up.

A good beginner moss is definitely Java moss.

If you want some easy beginner plants which you can bury in the substrate, I would suggest Amazon swords, crypticorns, maybe some bacopa and hygrophila.

A good tip is to add roottabs to the substrate for sword-plants and crypts.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Thank you very much and yes I have purchased root tabs and liquid fertiliser I like to get everything in I may need, I do have a small co2 canister and diffuser just in case but rather not use it till I'm fully aware of what I'm doing.

I've been looking at Anubias also been looking at alternanthera rosaefelia and a few crypts.

Is Co2 needed for plants from what I've read it it helps them grow quicker and is needed for more carpeting plants?

If you have co2-parts laying about, I would definitely say it's worth the effort.. I was always the type of guy who was sceptical about co2, until I tried it myself.

Now I have co2 running on all three of my tanks and I wonder how I ever managed without it! Everything grows like crazy.

When you have co2 you can grow way more plants (given your lighting is ok)..

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I like the wood. I like moss anubias idea as well. Anubias nana petite would look great on that wood imo.

I'm picking up some anubias and alternanthera rosaefelia tomorrow as just got a free tank up to quarantine them not 100% sure where I'm going to put them yet but I'll figure something out once I get playing around with it all

Back
Top Bottom